Self studying, similar to a Factorial?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a formula for the nth derivative, which is expressed as (5^n) n!. The placement of parentheses plays a crucial role in the formula, with the correct way being 5(n!), representing a factor of 5 for every term in the expression.
rocomath
I don't have much experience in this, and hopefully someone can recommend the right type of book that I need to look thru in order to solve future problems like this.

I have to have a formula for the nth derivative.

I have like in the numerator, but Idk how to express it properly.

5 x 10

5 x 10 x 15 ...

So, my formula would be something like: (5n)!

In my book, it says that n! = 1 x 2 x 3 ... (n-1) x n?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it jumping by 5 every time?

rocomath said:
5 x 10 x 15 ...

Hi (rocomath)! :smile:

That would be (5^n) n! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi (rocomath)! :smile:

That would be (5^n) n! :smile:
Argh, I need more practice! Thanks tiny-tim :)

Actually I think he meant 5(n!) The placement of the parantheses make a lot of difference.

EDIT: Oh, wait, unless you meant you wanted to represent:

5(5x10)(5x10x15)... instead. Then he's right.

Defennder said:
Actually I think he meant 5(n!) The placement of the parantheses make a lot of difference.

Hi (Defennder)! :smile:
:biggrin: I think you're both right! :biggrin:

Defennder said:

No, he's right in the first place.

5 * 10 * 15...5n = ( 5*1 x 5*2 x 5*3...5*n) = 5^n (n!)

There is a factor of 5 for every term in the expression.

Related to Self studying, similar to a Factorial?

1. What is self studying?

Self studying refers to the process of learning independently without the guidance of a formal teacher or instructor. It involves taking responsibility for one's own learning and using various resources to acquire knowledge and skills.

2. How is self studying similar to a factorial?

Self studying and a factorial have similarities in terms of their structure and approach. Just like a factorial, self studying involves breaking down a larger concept or subject into smaller, more manageable parts, and then building upon those parts to gain a deeper understanding.

3. What are the benefits of self studying?

Self studying offers several benefits, including flexibility in learning, the ability to set your own pace, and the opportunity to explore topics that may not be covered in traditional classroom settings. It also promotes self-motivation and self-discipline, which are valuable skills for personal and professional development.

4. How can one effectively self study?

To effectively self study, it is important to set goals, create a study schedule, and choose appropriate resources such as textbooks, online courses, or study groups. It is also helpful to actively engage with the material, take notes, and regularly review and assess your progress.

5. Can self studying replace traditional education?

No, self studying should not be viewed as a replacement for traditional education, but rather as a supplement or alternative approach. While self studying can provide valuable knowledge and skills, it is important to also consider the benefits of interacting with peers and receiving guidance from experienced instructors in a formal educational setting.