Self Resonant Freq of Spiral Inductor

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the self resonant frequency (SRF) of a flat spiral inductor and the difficulties in doing so. One person suggests using a square wave and a spectrum analyzer, while another person wants to determine the SRF theoretically for a project involving printed inductors on circuit boards. However, it is acknowledged that finding easy answers in engineering is not always possible.
buzachaka
Is there a model for determining the self resonant frequency of a flat spiral inductor? I can determine the inductance but the capacitance is escaping me.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one link to an invention that measures it. I would think you could just hit the inductor with a square wave and measure the results with a spectrum analyzer, would give the SRF directly. But here is the link:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7451415/description.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You could find the frequency at which resonance occurs, experimentally. If you already know the value of L then ω=√LC will give the you the capacitance.
But I guess you want to do this theoretically?

I would like to be able to determine the srf theoretically. The project requires the inductors to be printed on circuit boards and I need to know the parameters beforehand. Why can there be no easy answers.

He wants easy answers - my life. They are things you just can't always expect in engineering. Some things are 'just hard'.

Related to Self Resonant Freq of Spiral Inductor

1. What is the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor?

The self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor is the frequency at which the inductance and capacitance of the spiral cancel each other out, resulting in a high impedance. This is typically the highest frequency at which the inductor can function effectively.

2. How is the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor calculated?

The self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is the frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

3. What factors affect the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor?

The self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor is affected by several factors, including the number of turns, the size and shape of the spiral, and the materials used in its construction.

4. How does the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor impact its performance?

The self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor is an important factor in its performance, as it determines the highest frequency at which the inductor can effectively filter or amplify a signal. Operating the inductor at frequencies above its self-resonant frequency can result in decreased performance and potential damage to the inductor.

5. Can the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor be adjusted?

Yes, the self-resonant frequency of a spiral inductor can be adjusted by changing the number of turns, the size and shape of the spiral, or the materials used in its construction. However, these changes may also affect other characteristics of the inductor, such as its inductance and resistance.