Selecting the Right Radius for Pitot Static Tube Measurement in Circular Tubes

In summary, the selection of the radius of a pitot static tube for testing air flow inside a circular tube depends on the type of flows being investigated. For the construction of the pitot tube, it is recommended to seek advice from a company that manufactures them due to the complexity of the process. For measuring the flow, the centerline of the pipe is usually the preferred location, but pitot traverses can also be done to get a full velocity profile. The accuracy of pitot tubes can be affected by their shape and size, with the front face shape determining their susceptibility to errors induced by yaw and other factors. There are standards, such as SAE AIR 1168-5, that provide guidelines for selecting the size of
Su Solberg
Hello,
I would like to know how to select the radius of a pitot static tube to test the air flow in side a circular tube??

Thanks in advence.

Physics news on Phys.org
What radius do you refer to? You can either mean...

1) The radius (diameter) of the tube used to construct the pitot tube.
2) The radius from centerline of the pipe in which to take the measurements.

#1 is the tougher of the two to answer. If you have no experience in instrumentation I would recommend looking to a company that manufactures them and getting their advice. There is a fair amount of research done to do this properly. This factor becomes pretty important depending on the type of flows being investigated.

#2 is up to you. Usually the centerline of the pipe is where the measurements are taken. However, pitot traverses across the whole cross section are done as well to get a picture of the velocity profile.

I would have thought that since there is no flow inside a pitostatic tube that the diameter of the tube would not matter much.

It depends on what you are measuring. If your flow area is based on a .25" diameter pipe, you don't want a proble that will take up half of that flow area.

Pitot tubes' accuracy can be affected by their shape and size. For example, the shape of the front face determine's the tube's susceptibility to yaw induced errors. Other errors can be introduced especially when coming close to a solid surface like a wall.

FredGarvin said:
It depends on what you are measuring. If your flow area is based on a .25" diameter pipe, you don't want a proble that will take up half of that flow area.

Pitot tubes' accuracy can be affected by their shape and size. For example, the shape of the front face determine's the tube's susceptibility to yaw induced errors. Other errors can be introduced especially when coming close to a solid surface like a wall.

I wonder how that works. If the pitot tube is undergoing yaw conditions, the freestream flow is not coming directly perpendicular to the tube. So, I'm trying to see why that would affect the reading but I'm not connecting the dots.

The air inside the tube is static. When its directly into the flow the static air blocks the freestream air from entering. As a result, the freestream air has to slow down, come to a stop and stagnate at the tip of the probe. Consequently, the static air inside the pitot tube has to be under compression to slow down the dynamic air trying to enter it. This causes a hike in the pressure sensor.

But when the flow is coming at an angle, it's still got to slow down and come to stop like before. The only difference is that its coming in at an angle and slowing down.

Edit:

I figured it out. Its only the cosine component of the flow that has to come to a complete stop when there is an angle. The sine component of the flow never changes. So you only read a fractional (cosine to be exact) component of the dynamic pressure.

So if you knew the dynamic pressure at zero yaw, and you meaured the a new pressure that was lower, you could deduce the yaw angle in flight. Of course this is unrealistic in practice, because how does the airplane know the pressure is reduced from the nominal zero yaw value as opposed to just flying slower? Both would cause the same effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, Cyrus, FredGarvin and russ_watters.

but seems I still cannot fully get what I am looking for.

For example, I have a 10 cm diameter tube. how large should the pitot tube be.
5mm diameter? 2mm diameter?
btw, is there any standard(I prefer BS, ISO and AUS)of choosing the size of the pitot tube?

Thanks again for all your kind help ^^

United Sensor Corp. has a nice little section that shows some of the more common error inducing conditions. It has a great plot that shows the accuracy dome against + and - yaw angle errors. It starts about 1/3 the way down. For anyone in testing or the like, I would highly recommend bookmarking this site.

http://www.unitedsensorcorp.com/pitot.html

For anyone that EVER has to put a piece of instrumentation in a fluid flow, I would say you have to have a copy of SAE AIR 1168-5

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
United Sensor Corp. has a nice little section that shows some of the more common error inducing conditions. It has a great plot that shows the accuracy dome against + and - yaw angle errors. It starts about 1/3 the way down. For anyone in testing or the like, I would highly recommend bookmarking this site.

http://www.unitedsensorcorp.com/pitot.html

For anyone that EVER has to put a piece of instrumentation in a fluid flow, I would say you have to have a copy of SAE AIR 1168-5

Thanks for your information, I will take a look.
Actually, it's for capacity test of an air compressor.

Related to Selecting the Right Radius for Pitot Static Tube Measurement in Circular Tubes

1. What is a Pitot Static tube measurement?

A Pitot Static tube measurement is a method used to measure the fluid velocity, pressure, and density in a flow system. It consists of a pitot tube, which measures the total pressure, and a static tube, which measures the static pressure. By comparing the two readings, the velocity of the fluid can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation.

2. How does a Pitot Static tube work?

A Pitot tube has two ports, one facing directly into the fluid flow to measure the total pressure, and one perpendicular to the flow to measure the static pressure. The difference between these two pressures is used to determine the velocity of the fluid. The static tube measures the static pressure, which is the pressure of the fluid when it is not in motion.

3. What are the advantages of using a Pitot Static tube measurement?

Pitot Static tube measurements are simple to use and provide accurate readings of fluid velocity. They can be used in a variety of flow systems, including liquids and gases, and are not affected by the temperature or viscosity of the fluid. They also do not require any moving parts, making them durable and easy to maintain.

4. What are the limitations of using a Pitot Static tube measurement?

Pitot Static tubes are not suitable for measuring low flow rates, as the difference between the total and static pressure readings becomes too small to accurately calculate the velocity. They are also affected by turbulent flow and must be carefully positioned in the flow to get accurate readings.

5. How can Pitot Static tube measurements be used in different industries?

Pitot Static tube measurements are commonly used in the aerospace industry to measure airspeed and in the maritime industry to measure water velocity. They are also used in the automotive industry to measure air intake velocity, in the HVAC industry to measure air flow, and in the oil and gas industry to measure pipeline flow rates. They can also be used in various research and laboratory settings to measure fluid velocity and pressure.