Seeking general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of order 4N+2 with N>1

In summary, a newbie director of a duplicate bridge club is seeking a solution for generating movements for 10, 14, 18 tables, which are equivalent to Graeco-Latin Squares and are commonly used in the bridge world. They have been able to generate movements for odd numbers and multiples of 4, but are unsure if there is a general solution for the specified numbers. They have also created a program in C++ to generate movements for 10 tables and are open to any advice or assistance.
Matti
Greetings from a newbie here to MHB. I am a director of a duplicate bridge club, and would like to be able to generate movements when the number of tables is 10, 14, 18 etc. I am aware that the most convenient movements are equivalent to Graeco-Latin Squares, and that these exist for all orders other than 2 and 6.

I can readily generate movements for all odd numbers, and all numbers divisible by 4. I have an example for 10, which I believe is the one which first disproved Euler's Conjecture; but I would like to know if there is a general solution for 10, 14, 18 etc. As far as I am aware, the duplicate bridge world is unaware of one, and would undoubtedly find it useful if it exists!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no general solution, then I would be grateful for any advice on how to tackle the problem. I am comfortable with coding in C++, and have written a simple program to generate movements for 10 tables (it's more complex than it sounds!). Thanks in advance!

Related to Seeking general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of order 4N+2 with N>1

What is a Graeco-Latin Square?

A Graeco-Latin Square is a square grid of numbers or symbols, where each row and column contains a unique combination of the symbols or numbers. It is named after the Greek and Latin alphabets, as these were the symbols initially used in these squares.

What is the significance of seeking a general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of order 4N+2?

The order 4N+2 refers to the size of the square grid, where N is a positive integer. Seeking a general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of this order is significant because it allows for a method to systematically and efficiently generate Graeco-Latin Squares of various sizes, without having to manually construct each one.

Why is N required to be greater than 1?

N must be greater than 1 in order to have a valid order for the Graeco-Latin Square. If N is equal to 1, the order would be 6, which is not considered a valid order for these types of squares. Additionally, having N greater than 1 allows for a greater variety of square sizes to be generated.

What is the general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of order 4N+2?

The general solution for Graeco-Latin Squares of order 4N+2 involves using a specific algorithm or method to construct the square in a systematic manner. This solution is typically presented in the form of a mathematical formula or set of instructions that can be followed to generate the square.

What are some applications of Graeco-Latin Squares?

Graeco-Latin Squares have various practical applications, such as in designing experiments, creating sudoku puzzles, and constructing error-correcting codes. They can also be used in mathematical research and as a tool for studying combinatorial designs and group theory.