Seeking advice concerning metal thickness for a tree digging spade

In summary, AntonK is seeking advice on what thickness of plate steel to use for a tree spade he is having made for transplanting trees. The spade will have a 1/4 cone shape and be 24" in diameter and 18" deep. It will also have two bends and a 1" square bar for the handle. The concern is whether to use 1/8" or 3/16" thick steel. Suggestions are to extend the handle further down the blade, add a strap for extra support, and consider hydraulic power for easier operation. AntonK is only having one spade made and plans to use it manually to create a root ball and move the tree to a new location.
AntonK
Hello to all,

I have a question concerning what thickness of plate steel to use for a tree spade that I'm going to have made to help with transplanting some trees. The intent is to have a spade that cuts 1/4 of a cone that is 24" in diameter and 18" deep. After cutting the tree's root ball, separate cuts in the ground on one side of the root ball will be made to offer a bit of a slope to make easier the levering/dragging of the root ball out of it's original position so that it can be moved to a new location. I hope to attach a picture of what I'm proposing so that you can get an idea of the configuration. The blade portion of the spade is to be either 1/8" or 3/16" thick 1018 mild steel (I think hot rolled). It is to be a total of 21.625" tall and 19.75" wide at the top. It is also to have two bends that are about 25 degrees each segmenting the blade into three somewhat equal triangles. To the center triangle, there is to be welded a 1" square bar that will serve as the handle and as the means of transferring the force of a 17 lb, metal fence post driver to the blade. The soil in this area is about 110 lbs/cu. ft. and the volume of the root ball will be about 1.5 cu. ft.. Add to the weight of the soil a tree's weight of about 40 lbs and I estimate this spade will have to support about 205 lbs. But it's the levering and the driving (possibly into the occasional rock) that concerns me the most. The question is: is it better to use 1/8" plate or 3/16", or something altogether different?

Thank you for any input -- even if it isn't scientific.

AntonK

Attachments

• Tree spade drawings.png
    Tree spade drawings.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 3D view of tree spade.png
    3D view of tree spade.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 449
Engineering news on Phys.org
The spade would be stronger if the post can be extended to the tip, rather than attached half way.
This is especially so as the plan is to use the spade as a pry bar, to lever obstacles.
I would certainly go for the 3/16th thickness, as the actual stress in the field is almost always greater than the expected amount. People are hard on equipment.

I certainly agree with the comments above regarding extending the handle further down the blade and also with the use of heavier plate.

1) I would suggest a strap across the outside flanges of the blade at the top end of the blade, to help resist flattening.

2) Are you planning to make several of these, so that you can surround the tree, leaving each in place while you pry on another, with a helper inserting deeper those that become free in the process?

3) What you show here looks adequate only for manual operation. If you should decide to arrange hydraulic power for the shovels, much heavier material will be required.

Thanks for all the input. Those are excellent suggestions. To OldEngr63, I'm only having one made and it will be a manual operation that involves surrounding the tree with four "cuts" to create a root ball. Then, on one side of the ball, cutting a wedge of ground away so as to create a bit of a ramp. Inserting the spade on that side of the ball, I hope to tilt the ball out of place so that I can pry/drag it out of the hole and to its new planting place. I know it sounds like a lot of effort, but readily available systems that don't require a bobcat start around $2K. If this were a business proposition, I'd make the investment, but it's a personal project so I'm trying to keep the cost down.

Thanks again for all the input,
AntonK

I would recommend using a thicker plate steel for your tree spade. Based on the information provided, it seems that 1/8" or 3/16" may not be strong enough to withstand the weight and force involved in digging and transplanting trees.

I would suggest considering using a plate steel that is at least 1/4" thick, as this would provide more stability and durability for your spade. You may also want to consider using a stronger type of steel, such as high carbon steel, for added strength and resistance to bending or breaking.

Additionally, I would recommend testing your design before fully committing to it. This could involve creating a prototype and testing it in various soil conditions to ensure it can withstand the weight and force involved in tree transplanting.

Overall, it is important to prioritize the strength and durability of your spade in order to effectively and safely transplant trees. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Seeking advice concerning metal thickness for a tree digging spade

1. What is the ideal metal thickness for a tree digging spade?

The ideal metal thickness for a tree digging spade depends on several factors, such as the type of soil you will be digging in and the size of the trees you will be transplanting. Generally, a thickness of 3/16 to 1/4 inch is recommended for heavy-duty spades, while a thickness of 1/8 inch may be sufficient for lighter use. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to manufacturer's guidelines for specific recommendations.

2. How does the metal thickness affect the durability and effectiveness of a tree digging spade?

The metal thickness of a tree digging spade directly impacts its durability and effectiveness. A thicker metal will be stronger and less likely to bend or break during use, making it more durable. It also allows for more leverage and digging power, making the spade more effective in cutting through tough roots and soil. However, a thicker metal may also make the spade heavier and more difficult to use for extended periods of time.

3. Are there any other factors to consider besides metal thickness when choosing a tree digging spade?

Yes, in addition to metal thickness, it is important to consider the design and construction of the spade. The shape and size of the blade, as well as the handle length and material, can also affect the spade's performance. It is also important to choose a spade that is the appropriate size for the trees you will be transplanting and the type of soil you will be digging in.

4. Can I use a tree digging spade with a thinner metal thickness for smaller trees?

Yes, a thinner metal thickness may be suitable for smaller trees, as they have smaller and less extensive root systems. However, it is important to consider the type of soil you will be digging in and the frequency of use. If you will be transplanting multiple trees or digging in tougher soil, a thicker metal may be more appropriate to ensure the spade's durability and effectiveness.

5. How can I maintain the metal thickness of my tree digging spade?

To maintain the metal thickness of your tree digging spade, it is important to properly clean and store it after each use. This will help prevent rust and corrosion, which can weaken the metal over time. It is also recommended to periodically sharpen the blade to ensure it remains sharp and effective. If you notice any bends or cracks in the metal, it is important to replace the spade to maintain its thickness and overall functionality.