See Saw Weight Balance: How to Find Angle Beta with Two Sensors?

In summary, the angle of the object's center of mass relative to the two sensors can be found by calculating the cosine of the tilt angle and dividing by the sum of the weights on each side.
john_Stm
Hi everyone ,

I have a small question ..

I have attached a ppt . I am having two sensors which can measure the weight of my object at two end position so fmy support ..

My question is that can i find the angle beta if am having the value of X kg and Y kg ..

your answers would really help me ..

Attachments

• Is this right.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 198
Physics news on Phys.org
That should (almost) work. If you can figure out how high above the sensors the CoM of the box is, you should be able to find the angle. Basically just realize that as you increase beta, the CoM shifts to be further over one sensor or another.

Edit: I almost forgot: Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Last edited:
The file just came up as an unreadable text on my MacBook. :frown:

You should be able to open it with Open Office or Libre Office. I'm using the latter, albeit on PC. I don't know what word processing mac comes with by default.

FireStorm000 said:
You should be able to open it with Open Office or Libre Office. I'm using the latter, albeit on PC. I don't know what word processing mac comes with by default.

I'll check that out. Leopard comes with TextEdit, but I also have NeoOffice (almost exactly the same as Microsoft Office, but free), and a few other open-source doohickeys. One of them might be able to do something with it. My main point of surprise is that something that I expected to be a graphic showed up as a text. Anyhow, I have a lot of other stuff to do first, but I'll check up on this later.

hi firestrom , thanks for your response .. i am curious in finding the angle using the two vertical omponents .. x kg and y kg from my sensor outputs..

john_Stm said:
hi firestorm , thanks for your response .. i am curious in finding the angle using the two vertical components .. x kg and y kg from my sensor outputs..
I'm not clear if you're asking me to solve it for you, but I'll absolutely get you started:
To begin, I don't think we have enough information to solve the problem, so I'm going to make some assumptions about the geometry, and we'll go from there.
First, let's define P as the location of the pivot. We'll define CM as the center of mass of the object on the two sensors, plus any anything else the sensors are supporting, such as a plate on which you place the object. For the sake of simplicity, we'll assume that the center of mass is directly over the pivot when the tilt angle, θ, is 0. We'll further assume that the sensors are equidistant from the pivot, at distance l. Finally, the distance between CM and P is the length h.
I'll assume that the sensors exclusively measure force parallel to theta, that is, they rotate on the pivot and measure the full downward force only when θ is 0. If that's the case, we then know that the sum of the measures of the two sensors will equal the cosine of theta times weight: F1+F2=cosθ * m * g
We additionally know that at a certain angle of θ, which we will call [itex]\varphi[/itex], the CM is directly over a given sensor, such that either F1=mg and F2 = 0, or visa versa for -[itex]\varphi[/itex].
When theta is 0, F1=F2=mg/2

See if you can't get started with that setup, and let me know if you have trouble, or any of my assumptions are invalid.

Related to See Saw Weight Balance: How to Find Angle Beta with Two Sensors?

1. What is a See Saw Weight Balance?

A See Saw Weight Balance is a simple apparatus that consists of a fulcrum (pivot point) and two arms of equal length, with a weight on one end and an unknown weight on the other end. It is used to find the unknown weight by measuring the angle at which the See Saw balances.

2. How do two sensors help in finding Angle Beta?

Two sensors are placed at the end of each arm of the See Saw. These sensors measure the angle at which the See Saw is balanced. By using trigonometric calculations, the angle measurements from the two sensors can be used to find the angle Beta, which is the angle between the two arms of the See Saw.

3. Can the See Saw Weight Balance be used to find the weight of any object?

Yes, the See Saw Weight Balance can be used to find the weight of any object as long as it can be placed on one end of the See Saw and a known weight can be placed on the other end. It is commonly used in physics experiments to find the weight of objects with irregular shapes or those that cannot be placed on a traditional weighing scale.

4. Are there any limitations to using a See Saw Weight Balance?

One limitation of using a See Saw Weight Balance is that it can only accurately measure weights within a certain range. If the weight on one end is too heavy, it may cause the See Saw to tip over and give inaccurate results. Additionally, the See Saw must be on a level surface and the arms must be of equal length for accurate measurements.

5. How can the accuracy of the See Saw Weight Balance be improved?

The accuracy of the See Saw Weight Balance can be improved by using more precise sensors and ensuring that the arms of the See Saw are of equal length. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging them can improve the accuracy of the results. It is also important to make sure that the See Saw is on a level surface and there are no external factors (such as wind) affecting the balance of the See Saw.