See gases with consumer IR camera

In summary, the poster is attempting to simulate MODIS using a FLIR One thermal camera, but also needs a CO2 camera. They are looking for solutions to replicate the 4um filter needed for the IR camera, but their camera only operates in the 8-15um range. They have considered using other gases to simulate, but have been unable to find a suitable filter or device for this purpose. They ask for ideas and mention fog as a potential solution. The responder is confused about the camera being used and suggests that different portions of the IR spectrum require different materials. They are also unsure of any device that can perform IR spectral imaging for gases and suggest that hyperspectral cameras only operate in the visible waveband.
BeHappyFTW
I am trying to do a project to simulate MODIS (NASAS' telescope addon). I have a flir one which helps me replicate the thermal camera but i need also a CO2 camera. I know its possible with a ir camera with a 4um filter but my camera apparently works from de 8-15um range which is out. I though maybe another gases just to simulate but i can't find anything. Not even a 14um filter or something like that. Got any ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried fog - a water mist?

BeHappyFTW said:
I am trying to do a project to simulate MODIS (NASAS' telescope addon). I have a flir one which helps me replicate the thermal camera but i need also a CO2 camera. I know its possible with a ir camera with a 4um filter but my camera apparently works from de 8-15um range which is out. I though maybe another gases just to simulate but i can't find anything. Not even a 14um filter or something like that. Got any ideas? Thanks!

Your post is confusing- what camera do you have? Different portions of the IR spectrum (say 1-2 um for short wave IR (SWIR), 3-5 um for mid-wave IR (MWIR) and 8-12 um for long wave IR (LWIR)) require very different optical materials for the lenses and detectors. If you want to perform IR spectral imaging to image different gases, I am unaware of any device- the hyperspectral cameras I am aware of operate in the visible waveband.

Possibly helpful?

Related to See gases with consumer IR camera

1. How does a consumer IR camera see gases?

A consumer IR camera uses infrared radiation to detect gases. When gases are heated, they emit a characteristic spectrum of infrared radiation that can be captured by the camera's sensor.

2. Can a consumer IR camera detect all types of gases?

No, a consumer IR camera can only detect gases that emit infrared radiation. This includes gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and water vapor. However, some gases, like oxygen and nitrogen, do not emit infrared radiation and cannot be detected with a consumer IR camera.

3. How sensitive is a consumer IR camera to gases?

The sensitivity of a consumer IR camera to gases depends on its design and specifications. Some cameras may be more sensitive to certain gases than others. Generally, the higher the resolution and sensitivity of the camera, the better it can detect and differentiate between different gases.

4. Are there any limitations to using a consumer IR camera to see gases?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a consumer IR camera to see gases. The camera may not be able to detect gases in areas with high levels of background infrared radiation, such as near sources of heat or in direct sunlight. Additionally, the camera may not be able to detect gases that are present in very low concentrations.

5. What are some potential applications of using a consumer IR camera to see gases?

A consumer IR camera can be used for a variety of applications, such as detecting gas leaks in industrial settings, monitoring air quality in buildings, and identifying potential hazards in the environment. It can also be used in scientific research to study the behavior and emissions of gases in different environments.