Secure Members Area: PHP Solution for No SQL Hosting

• PHP
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    web hosting
SQL databases.- He is looking for a script that is easy to implement and will allow him to restrict access to registered members using a flat database with encrypted passwords.- He has considered using the .htaccess file, but finds it too restrictive.- Warren is open to suggestions and thanks anyone in advance who can help him. In summary, Warren is seeking a script for his website's members only area that is easy to implement and works with a flat database and encrypted passwords, as his hosting package does not support SQL databases. He has considered using the .htaccess file but is open to other suggestions.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm attempting to create a members only area on a website. Now, I've got no formal training in web design, but I have dabbled in PHP before. Unfortunately, all the scripts I can find are built on SQL databases and my hosting package doesn't support SQL; so I'm looking for a script that is fairly easy to implement that will allow my to restrict access to registered members while using a flat database with encrypted passwords. I've considered using the .htacess file to do this but it is rather restrictive, i.e. members cannot change their passwords etc.

So if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful to here them. Many thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Creating a secure members area on a website can be challenging, especially if you have limited experience in web design. It's great that you have some knowledge in PHP, as it can definitely be helpful in creating a members only area.

Since your hosting package does not support SQL databases, you will need to find a solution that works with a flat database. One option is to use a PHP framework such as Laravel or CodeIgniter, which have built-in functions for working with flat databases. These frameworks also have built-in authentication systems that allow you to easily restrict access to registered members.

Another option is to use a script specifically designed for flat databases, such as Flatbase or Flat File Login. These scripts are relatively easy to implement and allow for encrypted passwords, as you mentioned.

Using .htaccess to restrict access can be an option, but as you mentioned, it can be limiting in terms of members being able to change their passwords. It's important to consider the level of security you need for your members area and choose the best solution accordingly.

I hope these suggestions help and good luck with creating your secure members area!

Related to Secure Members Area: PHP Solution for No SQL Hosting

What is a "Secure Members Area"?

A "Secure Members Area" is a protected section of a website that can only be accessed by authorized users who have been given permission to enter. It typically contains sensitive information that is only meant for certain individuals or groups.

What is "PHP Solution"?

"PHP Solution" refers to a programming language called PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) that is commonly used for creating dynamic and interactive websites. In the context of a "Secure Members Area", it refers to the use of PHP to build a secure and functional system for hosting and managing user data.

Why is "No SQL Hosting" important for a "Secure Members Area"?

"No SQL Hosting" is important for a "Secure Members Area" because it allows for the storage and retrieval of data without using a traditional relational database. This can provide faster and more efficient access to user data, as well as improved scalability and flexibility for the website.

What are the benefits of using a "Secure Members Area" for a website?

There are several benefits of using a "Secure Members Area" for a website, including increased security for sensitive information, better organization and management of user data, and the ability to provide a personalized and tailored experience for users.

Is "Secure Members Area: PHP Solution for No SQL Hosting" suitable for all types of websites?

No, "Secure Members Area: PHP Solution for No SQL Hosting" may not be suitable for all types of websites. It is best suited for websites that require the storage and management of user data, such as membership sites, e-commerce sites, and social networking sites.