Second year uni, e&m, dialectrics question?

In summary, the electric field at a distance b above the center of the disk is greater than the electric field at a distance a above the center of the disk.
coffeem
Hi there. I managed to get in a car accident before all of my summer exams so now have to take them all in September. I have started revising and I have a question which I cannot do.

A thin, circular disk of dialectic of radius 'a' carries a uniform positive sheet charge density of 'x'(C/m^2) and is placed in the horizontal plane. Calculate the strength of the electric field at a distance 'b' above the centre of the disk (assume surrounded by vacuum). Determine the value of this field in the limit when b<<a and comment briefly on this result.

I would go to office hours for help with this, but I am 200 miles away from uni. Please can hint as to what I have to do to get the answer. I do not want a solution as I would like to play some part in working it out. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Rings are key.

Split the disk into infinitesimal rings. I assume you have a decent handle on calculus, so first derive the electric field at distance b from a ring of radius r and thickness dr. Like, take infinitesimal segments (on an infinitesimal ring!) and calculate the fiield, integrate to sum them up. After that, integrate the result from 0 to a (sum over the radii of the rings), and you'll get the total electirc field.

As for the b<<a thing, think of what the disk looks like from the point of view of the charge. This part is easy.

Thank you both so much. Once I got what I had to do the hardest part was a pretty trivial integral. No doubt I will be posting many more messages asking for help in the next few weeks.

Related to Second year uni, e&m, dialectrics question?

1. What is the purpose of studying electromagnetism and dialectrics in second year university?

The purpose of studying electromagnetism and dialectrics in second year university is to understand the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism, as well as how they interact with each other and with different materials. This knowledge is essential for many fields of science and engineering, including electronics, telecommunications, and energy production.

2. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism and dialectrics?

Electromagnetism and dialectrics have numerous real-world applications, such as in the design and functioning of electric motors, generators, and transformers. They also play a critical role in wireless communication technologies, such as radio and cell phones. Dialectrics are used in the development of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors, which are essential components in modern technology.

3. What are the key concepts and principles of electromagnetism and dialectrics?

The key concepts and principles of electromagnetism and dialectrics include electric and magnetic fields, electric charge and current, electromagnetic induction, and electric and magnetic properties of materials. Other important principles include Coulomb's law, Ampere's law, Faraday's law, and Gauss's law. Understanding these concepts is crucial for solving problems and analyzing real-world situations involving electricity and magnetism.

4. How do electromagnetism and dialectrics relate to each other?

Electromagnetism and dialectrics are closely related as they both involve the interaction of electricity and magnetism. Dialectrics are materials that can become polarized when placed in an electric field, which affects their dielectric constant. This, in turn, affects the behavior of electric fields and can lead to changes in capacitance. Understanding this relationship is essential for designing and analyzing electronic circuits.

5. What are some common challenges students face when studying electromagnetism and dialectrics in second year university?

Some common challenges students may face when studying electromagnetism and dialectrics in second year university include understanding and applying the mathematical concepts and equations involved, visualizing and conceptualizing abstract concepts, and relating the material to real-world applications. It is important to seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with these topics and to practice regularly to improve your understanding and skills.