Second order ODE, I think 2 regular points

In summary, Frobenius method failed to find a solution around either of the singularities at x=2 and x=0, but it did find a solution around x=1.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hello guys! I've never dealt with an ODE having 2 singularities at once, I tried to solve it but ran out of ideas. I must solve ##(x-2)y''+3y'+4\frac{y}{x^2}=0##.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the ODE into the form ##y''+\frac{3}{x-2}y'+4\frac{y}{x^2(x-2)}=0##. I notice that the singularities at ##x=2## and ##x=0## are both regular, so that Frobenius method should find at least 1 solution around any of these singularities.
So I first tried to expand the solution around ##x=2## first. Seeking solution(s) of the form ##\phi (x)=\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^{n+c}##, I reached that [tex]\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+c)(n+c-1) (x-2)^{n+c-2}+ 3 \sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (n+c) (x-2)^{n+c-2}+\frac{4}{x^2}\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^{n+c}=0[/tex]. I stopped right there, because of the "1/x²" factor. But now that I think, maybe I can just "get rid of it" and it won't affect the solution of the ODE if I simply throw it away? Because that equation is satisfied for any x, so I guess this is enough of a reason to get rid of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to get this recurrence relation, which looks interesting in some ways:
an = an-1 + an-2n(n+2)
If you think it helps, I'll post an outline of how I got it.

You could multiply through by ##x^2 = [(x-2)+2]^2## to get everything in terms of x-2. Seems kinda of tedious though, but then Frobenius always is.

Following where I left, I reach the indicial equation c(c-1)+3c=0, so that c=0 or -2. Since the roots differ by an integer Frobenius method will not necessarily find the 2 linearly independent solutions of the ODE, but I am assured to find one if I use c=0 (the greater root).
Taking c=0, I reach that ##\sum _{n=2}^\infty (x-2)^{n-2} \{ a_n[n(n+2)]+\frac{4a_{n-2}}{x^2} \}=0##. The factor 1/x² still boggles me a lot.

haruspex said:
I was able to get this recurrence relation, which looks interesting in some ways:
an = an-1 + an-2n(n+2)
If you think it helps, I'll post an outline of how I got it.

That would be awesome, though I don't want you to waste time writing down the latex so an explanation will do the job (I hope).

vela said:
You could multiply through by ##x^2 = [(x-2)+2]^2## to get everything in terms of x-2. Seems kinda of tedious though, but then Frobenius always is.
Hmm for example I could do it in my last expression of my last post and divide by ##(x-2)^{n-2}## but even then, I'd have a term multiplied by x and another one independent from x... And since that must equal 0, I guess this implies that ##a_n [n(n+2)]=0## and therefore I get the trivial solution, ##a_n=0## for any n. Hmm I probably made a mistake somewhere then.

OK, here goes. Hope I made no mistakes.
First substitution: y = x2z. A factor x canceled out.
2nd sub: turned all x into x+1, just to make it look a bit nicer. Got (x2-1)z''+(7x-1)z'+8z = 0
Assuming a power series, got recurrence relation
an+2(n+2)(n+1) = -an+1(n+1)+an(n+2)(n+4)
3rd sub: bn=(-1)nn!an
Got bn = bn-1+n(n+2)bn-2
Resorted to generating samples in a spreadsheet. Looks something like n!(n+2) for n odd, (n+1)! for n even.

Related to Second order ODE, I think 2 regular points

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE is a type of differential equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are regular points in a second order ODE?

In a second order ODE, regular points are those where the coefficients of both the first and second derivatives of the unknown function are finite and continuous. These points are important because they allow for the existence of a unique solution to the ODE.

3. What is the difference between regular and singular points in a second order ODE?

Regular points are those where the coefficients of the first and second derivatives are finite and continuous, while singular points are those where at least one of the coefficients is infinite or discontinuous. Singular points can lead to difficulties in finding a unique solution to the ODE.

4. How do you solve a second order ODE with 2 regular points?

To solve a second order ODE with 2 regular points, you can use the method of Frobenius. This involves assuming a series solution for the unknown function and then finding the coefficients of the series through substitution into the ODE. The solution can then be found by solving a system of linear equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order ODEs with 2 regular points?

Second order ODEs with 2 regular points are commonly used to model physical systems such as pendulums, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as economics to model supply and demand dynamics. Additionally, they are useful in solving problems in engineering and physics, such as calculating the motion of a projectile or the oscillations of a spring-mass system.