Second Order ODE, Complex Roots, Change of Variables

In summary, the homework statement is:-Solve for y using a separable equation-Show that the general solution can be written in the form y(x) = A\sin(\omega x+\alpha)
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Solve:
[itex] \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} + \omega^{2}y = 0 [/itex]
Show that the general solution can be written in the form:
[itex] y(x) = A\sin(\omega x + \alpha) [/itex]
Where A and alpha are arbitrary constants

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I will need to change variables for this problem, so I let
[itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]
Then, using the chain rule I found:
[itex] \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dv}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx} = v\frac{dv}{dy} [/itex]
Substituting this into the equation I found:
[itex] v\frac{dv}{dy} + \omega^{2} y = 0 [/itex]
This looks to me like a separable equation, so I made the following separation:
[itex] v\frac{dv}{dy} = -\omega^{2} y [/itex]
[itex] vdv = -\omega^{2} ydy[/itex]
I integrated both sides and obtained:
[itex] \frac{v^2}{2} = -\omega^{2} \frac{y^2}{2}[/itex]
After some manipulation I obtained:
[itex] v = +- sqrt(2(-\frac{\omega^{2}y}{2} + C)) [/itex]
Since:
[itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx} [/itex]
I made that substitution and found that:
[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = +- sqrt(2-\frac{\omega^{2}y}{2} + C)) [/itex]
However, I am a little unsure of myself when it comes to problems like this, so I just wanted to see if I was on the right track with this problem or completely off base. My next step would be to integrate that square root, but I don't see how that would give me anything close to what the book wants for an answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that perhaps I could solve this using an auxiliary equation, so I'm going to try that out real quick..
Edit: not working out

Last edited:
I made a mistake copying my solution, I am editing now, there should not be a fraction in my separation

To prove that this is the general solution, you need to do two things: show that it is a solution- that it satisfies the differential equation- and that every solution is of that form. The first part is easy: just take the second derivative of the function and put it into the equation.

For the second, note that [tex]A sin(\omega x+ \alpha)= A(cos(\alpha) sin(\omega x)+ sin(\alpha) cos(\omega x))= C sin(\omega x)+ D cos(\omega x)[/tex] where [itex]C= Acos(\alpha)[/itex] and [itex]D= Asin(\alpha)[/itex]. Since A and [itex]\alpha[/itex] can be any constants, so can C and D.

Then use the fact that, since this is a second order linear homogeneous differential equation, the set of all solutions forms a two dimensional vector space and that [itex]sin(\omega x)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega x)[/itex] are independent solutions and so form a basis for that vector space.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
To prove that this is the general solution, you need to do two things: show that it is a solution- that it satisfies the differential equation- and that every solution is of that form. The first part is easy: just take the second derivative of the function and put it into the equation.

For the second, note that [tex]A sin(\omega x+ \alpha)= A(cos(\alpha) sin(\omega x)+ sin(\alpha) cos(\omega x))= C sin(\omega x)+ D cos(\omega x)[/tex] where [itex]C= Acos(\alpha)[/itex] and [itex]Asin(\alpha)[/itex]. Since A and [itex]\alpha[/itex] can be any constants, so can C and D.

Then use the fact that, since this is a second order linear homogeneous differential equation, the set of all solutions forms a two dimensional vector space and that [itex]sin(\omega x)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega x)[/itex] are independent solutions and so form a basis for that vector space.
Thanks for the help!

Related to Second Order ODE, Complex Roots, Change of Variables

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is an equation that involves the derivatives of a function with respect to a single independent variable. It is called "second order" because the highest derivative involved is the second derivative.

2. What are complex roots in the context of second order ODEs?

In the context of second order ODEs, complex roots refer to the solutions of the characteristic equation of the ODE that involve imaginary numbers. These roots will have the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. How do complex roots affect the general solution of a second order ODE?

If a second order ODE has complex roots, the general solution will involve both real and imaginary parts. This means that the solution will have a sinusoidal behavior, with both an amplitude and a phase component. The specific form of the general solution will depend on the type of complex roots involved.

4. What is the change of variables method used for in solving second order ODEs?

The change of variables method is a technique used to transform a second order ODE into a simpler form that can be solved using more basic methods. It involves substituting a new variable for the dependent variable in the original equation, in order to eliminate certain terms and make the equation easier to manipulate.

5. What are some common applications of second order ODEs?

Second order ODEs have many applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to model physical systems that involve acceleration, such as the motion of a pendulum or a spring. They are also used in electrical engineering to describe the behavior of circuits and in economics to model economic growth and decay.