Second Order Non-homogeneous Constant Coefficient Differential Equation

In summary, when trying to find a general solution to the given differential equation, the complimentary solution is x=c_1+c_2e^{2t}. However, since the inhomogeneous part of the equation contains a polynomial, it is necessary to guess a degree higher and include all coefficients. Setting C to 0, the solution can be found by substituting back into the equation. It is also important to note that if the complimentary solution already contains a characteristic root of 0, it should be multiplied by t in the guess.
retracell

Homework Statement

Find a general solution to [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}-2\frac{dx}{dt}=1-4t+e^t[/tex]

Homework Equations

None really.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a complimentary solution is [tex]x=c_1+c_2e^{2t}[/tex]
But when I try to guess say: [tex]x_p=At+B+Ce^t[/tex] and plug into the DE, I do not get anything to equate to 4t. Do I have to guess a degree higher? And if so, do I include all coefficients such that my guess becomes [tex]x_p=At^2+Bt+C+De^t[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, with a polynomial in the inhomogeneous part of your equation, you should check a degree higher than it. You should include all the coefficients as well, but it turns out C has no constraints (no x(t) part of your differential equation on the L.S.) so you can set it to 0. The rest comes out easily after substituting back into the DE.

"At+ B" corresponds to characteristic root 0 which is already a characteristic root of your homogeneous equation. Try [itex]y= At^2+ Bt+ Ce^t[/itex] instead.

Great thanks! Worked it out. So I guess I'm going by the fact that because my complementary solution has a constant term, I just multiply (At+B) by t.

Related to Second Order Non-homogeneous Constant Coefficient Differential Equation

1. What is a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation?

A second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function, along with the function itself, and is also influenced by a constant coefficient. It is a type of differential equation commonly encountered in physics and engineering problems.

2. How is a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation different from other types of differential equations?

A second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation is different from other types of differential equations because it involves a constant coefficient that does not change with respect to the independent variable. This makes it easier to solve as the coefficient can be factored out and the remaining equation can be solved using standard methods.

3. What is the general form of a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation?

The general form of a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation is y'' + ay' + by = f(x), where y is the unknown function, a and b are constant coefficients, and f(x) is a known function. This form can be used to solve a wide range of physical and engineering problems.

4. How are initial conditions used to solve a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are used to solve a second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equation by providing specific values for the unknown function and its derivatives at a given point. These conditions are used in conjunction with the general form of the equation to find the particular solution that satisfies both the equation and the given conditions.

5. What are some applications of second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equations?

Second order non-homogeneous constant coefficient differential equations have numerous applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used to model the motion of objects under the influence of external forces, such as in the study of vibrations in mechanical systems. They are also used to describe electrical circuits, heat transfer, and other dynamic systems.