Second order Linear ODE - NEED HELP to finish

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation y=Ce^{2t} using the general solution y=Ce^{2t}+yp. However, the constants c_1=-1 and c_2=0 did not work and he was able to fix the problem by determining y'=C_1e^t-9C_2e^{2t}+4e^{2t}.
pat666

Homework Statement

[tex]
22e^{2t}=y''+8y'-9y
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The directly previous question to this was the same but homogeneous, i.e. the 22e^(2t) was replaced with a 0.
So I know the general solution to the homogeneous ode is [tex] C_1e^t+C_2e^{-9t} [/tex]
I know that r(x)=[tex] ke^{\gamma*x} [/tex] so the choice for [tex]y_p=Ce^{2t} [/tex] this next part is what I don't understand. I think I just use the Basic rule but an example very similar to mine uses the modification rule??

Please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
22e^{2t}=y''+8y'-9y
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The directly previous question to this was the same but homogeneous, i.e. the 22e^(2t) was replaced with a 0.
So I know the general solution to the homogeneous ode is [tex] C_1e^t+C_2e^{-9t} [/tex]
I know that r(x)=[tex] ke^{\gamma*x} [/tex] so the choice for [tex]y_p=Ce^{2t} [/tex] this next part is what I don't understand. I think I just use the Basic rule but an example very similar to mine uses the modification rule??

Please help

Thanks

Since derivatives of e2t always have an e2t in their answer, it seems logical that if you want to get a constant times e2t out on the right (usually, in your case, on the left) you should try a constant times e2t for y to make the equation work. The only time this wouldn't work is if e2t is a solution to the homogeneous equation because then you would get 0. That is when you modify your guess to te2t.

Hey,
By constant do you mean 3e^2t or Ce^2t?

thanks

pat666 said:
Hey,
By constant do you mean 3e^2t or Ce^2t?

thanks

You try
Ce2t and figure out what C makes the equation work.

Yep that's what I thought you meant, I tried that before posting and it didn;t work for me at all.
[tex] y_p=Ce^{2t} y_p'=2Ce^{2t} y_p''=4Ce^{2t} [/tex]
Then I put them back into the original ODE
so: [tex] 4Ce^{2t}+8(2Ce^{2t})-9(Ce^{2t}) [/tex] also the question gives two initial conditions [tex] y(0)=1 y'(0)=3 [/tex] could you tell me what I've done wrong??

Thanks

pat666 said:
Yep that's what I thought you meant, I tried that before posting and it didn;t work for me at all.
[tex] y_p=Ce^{2t} y_p'=2Ce^{2t} y_p''=4Ce^{2t} [/tex]
Then I put them back into the original ODE
so: [tex] 4Ce^{2t}+8(2Ce^{2t})-9(Ce^{2t}) [/tex] also the question gives two initial conditions [tex] y(0)=1 y'(0)=3 [/tex] could you tell me what I've done wrong??

Thanks

You put them back both sides of the equation. The other side of the equation is 22e2t. Once you have figured out what C works you know yp = Ce2t with that value of C. Then your general solution is y = the general solution to your homogeneous equation + yp. Only then do you go to work on the initial conditons.

Equating both sides such that I have 11Ce^(2t)=22e^(2t) its pretty obvious that C = 2.
so now I have [tex]y_p=2e^(2t)[/tex] so [tex]y=C_1e^t+c_2e^-9t+2e^(2t) [/tex] then I solve for C1 and C2 and get C1=-0.8 and C2=-0.2, I know this is wrong because Mathematica solved it as y[t]=e^t(-1+2e^(2t)) what have I stuffed up?

Thanks

Yes, [itex]y(t)= C_1e^t+ C_2e^{-9t}+ 2e^{2t}[/itex] is the general solution.
But I suggest you recalculate the constants. You may have an arithmetic mistake.

[itex]y'(t)= C_1 e^t- 9C_2e^{-9t}+ 4e^2t[/itex] so we must have
[itex]y(0)= C_1+ C_2+ 2= 1[/itex] and [itex]y'(0)= C_1- 9C_2+ 4= 3[/itex].

I have recalculated several times, I can't figure it out. I know I'm wrong because I have done it in mathematica. Ill write out what I did here so you might be able to tell where I've gone wrong.
[tex]y(0)=1[/tex]
[tex]1=C_1+C_2+2 [/tex]
[tex]y'[t]=C_1e^t-9C_2e^{2t}+4e^{2t}[/tex]
[tex]3=C_1-9C_2+4[/tex]
[tex]-1+9C_2=C_1[/tex]
[tex]1=-1+9C_2+c_2+2[/tex]
Now I keep getting C_2=0 which is wrong!Thanks

Whoops, yes C_2 should = 0 and C_1=-1.

Problem solved I think
[tex]y[t]=-e^t+2e^{2t}[/tex]
Mathematicas answer is [tex]e^t(-1+2e^t) [/tex] which is exactly the same thing I think?

Related to Second order Linear ODE - NEED HELP to finish

1. What is a second order linear ODE?

A second order linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It can be solved to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. What is the general form of a second order linear ODE?

The general form of a second order linear ODE is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = r(x), where p(x), q(x), and r(x) are functions of x and y' represents the first derivative of y and y'' represents the second derivative of y.

3. How do I solve a second order linear ODE?

To solve a second order linear ODE, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or the Laplace transform. You will also need to use initial or boundary conditions to find the particular solution.

4. What are initial and boundary conditions?

Initial conditions are values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point, usually denoted by x = a. Boundary conditions are values of the function at the endpoints of the interval, usually denoted by x = a and x = b. These conditions help to find the particular solution of the ODE.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order linear ODEs?

Second order linear ODEs have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model systems with acceleration, such as mass-spring systems or electrical circuits. They are also used to describe harmonic motion and other types of oscillations.