Searching for April Fool's Papers: Suspicions Arouse

• Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, Dr. Jason Walker Smooth is working on a paper that claims luck can be captured and purified in space. He has been neglecting his research in order to focus on developing his whisky. There is a 5 year gap in his contributions and he has a brother named Johnnie.
Physics news on Phys.org
PAllen said:
Neither admits it (like the first) but I have my suspicions ...
How is "submission for Acta Prima Aprilia" not admitting it? :wink:

Likes DrClaude
zoobyshoe said:
Not a paper
Not even an April fool's joke...

I wrote a paper once about the fundamental research being conducted at the Luck Enrichment Research Network (LERN) by none other than Dr. Jason Walker Smooth. He asserted that like energy, luck is conserved in the universe, and seems to be concentrated in areas of high cash flux, eg DC, NYSE, etc. He further hypothesized that luck could be "captured" and purified via lobster traps in space. In a bold attempt to demonstrate the accuracy of his claims, he made all his decisions with the flip of a coin or the roll of a dice. The results of his work indicated that more research (and thus more money) is needed to make stronger assertions about his claims.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
How is "submission for Acta Prima Aprilia" not admitting it? :wink:
oops, I missed that.

OrangeDog said:
Dr. Jason Walker Smooth

Does he have a brother named Johnnie?

jtbell said:
Does he have a brother named Johnnie?

That is actually Jay's alias. You see, during his research (being such a lucky guy) he accidentally invented one of the worlds greatest Whiskies. Unfortunately, the power and greed of big business consumed him, resulting in neglect of his fundamental research in luck enrichment. He found that he did not like the person he became, so he sold his business, changed his name, and left for a simpler life at LERN. It is rumored that some of the chemicals used in his research leached into the whisky barrels - legend has it that anyone consuming his famous drink will have a great night partying.

I have been reading the Frolop, Scott Pi in the Sky paper.

Priceless... they have done it again. It is really worth reading the whole thing... really a beautiful finished work. In fact it almost reminds me of some of the early published research of the Rhine Institute in terms of methodology and association of ideas, but Pi in the Sky is unquestionably more scholarly.

The end notes are hysterical, btw.

Well done.

diogenesNY

Last edited:
Oh, no fair! (Sniff, sob, rant,...)

When I asked about a possible April Fools paper, my question received a complaint and was deleted. :oldcry:

The Gods as topological invariants and astrology in the era of exoplanets were hilarious! Thanks.

With regard to the first of my 2016 papers, I particularly liked the following comment:

"This study, along with others (e.g. the one that
found a correlation between the number of people
who drowned after falling into a pool and film appearances by Nicolas Cage [8]),.."

noting that no reference [8] is listed.

Related to Searching for April Fool's Papers: Suspicions Arouse

What is the purpose of "Searching for April Fool's Papers: Suspicions Arouse"?

The purpose of "Searching for April Fool's Papers: Suspicions Arouse" is to investigate the prevalence of fake or satirical research papers published on April Fool's Day in scientific journals.

What are some common characteristics of April Fool's papers?

April Fool's papers often have titles or abstracts that are humorous or absurd, and may include fake data or results. They may also be published in non-scientific journals or have authors with unusual names.

Why do scientists publish April Fool's papers?

Some scientists may publish April Fool's papers as a way to inject humor into the typically serious world of academic research. Others may use it as a platform to raise awareness about serious issues or to challenge the norms of scientific publishing.

How can April Fool's papers affect the credibility of scientific research?

April Fool's papers can potentially undermine the credibility of scientific research if they are mistaken for legitimate studies or if they contribute to the perception that scientific research is not always serious or rigorous. However, they can also serve as a reminder to critically evaluate information and not take everything at face value.

What measures can be taken to identify and prevent the publication of April Fool's papers?

Journals and reviewers can implement stricter submission requirements and peer review processes to ensure that papers are legitimate and not intended as pranks. Scientists can also be more vigilant in their own research and publishing practices to avoid unintentionally contributing to the spread of fake or satirical papers.