Search for Ultra High Superconductivity (1200K)

In summary, the guy has published a lot of articles in respectable magazines and has presented some research indicating that the centre of neutron stars may be condensed fermion systems.
MTd2
Gold Member
It's from this guy:

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/gzhao2/

It seems he published a lot of articles in respectable magazines. I'd like to know what are the opinons of you people.

He hosts a list of preprints for his articles, and you can freely look at them and analyze

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/gzhao2/publications2.html

If he is a crackpot, it's nice to denounce him, since he publised way too much in important magazines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say he is a crank - he says he is researching the possibiity of an effect not that there is one.
Based on nobody having much idea what causes ht super conductivity at any temperature and nobody knowing al the properties of things like carbon nano-tubes it's probably worth a try.

But, as alxm says - you want to be REALLY sure of your results before you announce it!

Last edited:
Well, he's not a crackpot at all in my definition of the term. (I define it as the category of people who've done no real work at all, whereas those who've got crazy ideas but still have done real work I categorize as 'misguided' at worst)

Seems like he's doing mostly legitimate work in solid-state stuff. Although that's not my field so I can't criticize it in detail, most of it looks quite sane enough. Obviously superconductivity at 1200K is a pretty fantastic claim, but I don't seem to see any papers claiming to have done it. More like, things which he thinks might indicate the possibility of it. (Regardless, I don't think the mainstream will ever believe in superconductivity at 1200K until it's been experimentally verified!)

I guess I'd summarize my impressions as that it's a researcher who's a bit on the speculative side, but well within the limits of acceptable behavior. (although I'd be more prudent) At least as far as his peer-reviewed stuff goes. After all, you're not supposed to believe in other people's speculations anyway. Just the results, ma'm.

There are some circumstantial evidence that the centre of neutron stars are condensed fermion systems, or at least have non-classical inertia. It turns out that we can measure the rotation rate of neutron stars well enough to see quantised vortices leaving it.

Related to Search for Ultra High Superconductivity (1200K)

1. What is ultra high superconductivity?

Ultra high superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance at extremely high temperatures. This means that electricity can flow through these materials without any loss of energy, making them potentially useful for a variety of applications.

2. How is ultra high superconductivity different from regular superconductivity?

Regular superconductivity occurs at very low temperatures, typically below -100°C. Ultra high superconductivity, on the other hand, occurs at much higher temperatures, up to 1200K or 927°C. This makes it more practical for real-world applications.

3. Why is the search for ultra high superconductivity important?

The discovery of materials that exhibit ultra high superconductivity has the potential to revolutionize many industries, such as energy transmission, transportation, and computing. It could lead to more efficient and sustainable technologies, as well as significant cost savings.

4. What are the current challenges in the search for ultra high superconductivity?

The main challenge is finding materials that can exhibit ultra high superconductivity at manageable temperatures. Many materials have been discovered that exhibit this phenomenon at extremely high pressures, but these conditions are not practical for real-world applications. Additionally, the mechanisms behind ultra high superconductivity are not fully understood, making it difficult to predict which materials may exhibit this property.

5. How are scientists searching for ultra high superconductivity?

Scientists are using a variety of approaches to search for materials with ultra high superconductivity. This includes studying the properties of known superconducting materials and trying to identify common features or patterns that may lead to the discovery of new ultra high superconductors. They are also using advanced computational methods to screen for potential candidates and experimenting with different combinations of elements to create new materials with promising properties.