SD Card: Baffled by Big & Little Bits

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bits sd
In summary, the SD card is getting smaller and smaller in order to make more and more devices smaller.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I just bought an SD card for my camera, talk about things getting smaller i could hardly hold the big bit that the little bit had to be pushed into, now i am baffled is it the big bit that holds the 1 gig memory or the little bit, if it is the little bit why have the big bit, or is that for people like me who have difficulty holding little bits?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mini-SD with an adaptor to make it a full size SD, the data is in the mini bit.
Apparently the already too small for adults to use SD card was too big for cell phones/MP3 players so there was aneed for a smaller system!

Soon accesories are going to have to come with a microscope so you can find them!

You must have some kind of an adapter. The SD card itself is just a half-inch square piece of plastic, enclosing a chip and some gold contacts.

- Warren

mgb_phys is right, I have a mini-SD that fits in my cell phone and then has an adapter so it can be used with a computer that has a standard SD reader.

I just upload all my pictures from my cell phone to the personal website that my cell phone provider gives me and it also e-mails the picture to me at the same time. That way I don't have to take the teeny card in and out of my phone to put the pictures on my computer. I just select "upload pictures" and bam, it's done.

CaptainQuasar said:
mgb_phys is right, I have a mini-SD that fits in my cell phone and then has an adapter so it can be used with a computer that has a standard SD reader.

Heck, ok electronics are getting ever more compact but as a storage device that has to be handled surly this is to small, imagine dropping it.

wolram said:
Heck, ok electronics are getting ever more compact but as a storage device that has to be handled surly this is to small, imagine dropping it.

If your camera connects to a computer via a USB cable there's probably never any reason to remove it once you've put the chip in the camera - it's just extra memory.

Yeah, they're definitely getting super-small; I think the idea is more to make the devices the cards fit into (like cell phones) smaller, rather than the cards themselves.

wolram said:
Do you have an option to connect your camera directly to your computer to upload the pictures with a USB cable? I somehow lost my cable when I moved and since I got the cell phone, I haven't bothered using the camera.

Edit: heh, Great Minds Think Alike, CQ is a faster typer.

The SD card is my last hope of getting my camera to down load to the dreaded Vista, this system should be rated via the diabolo scale.

You won't damage an SD card by dropping it. The air resistance will slow it down enough.

- Warren

chroot said:
You won't damage an SD card by dropping it. The air resistance will slow it down enough.

- Warren
The damage will occur when he steps on it trying to find it.

But that's going to happen to the contact lenses, which you need to find back first to have a chance to find the micro SD card.

Anyway, my experience with camera's directly hooking up to the computer is that loading goes two orders of magnitude slower than when the card is directly put into the computer.

wolram said:
if it is the little bit why have the big bit, or is that for people like me who have difficulty holding little bits?
Get used to it. It's called large scale smallness. Pretty soon they'll put the universe in a grain of sand.

jimmysnyder said:
Get used to it. It's called large scale smallness. Pretty soon they'll put the universe in a grain of sand.

If you mean electronics i would agree, but as for the universe ? i doubt if even the orders of magnitude are scientific.

Related to SD Card: Baffled by Big & Little Bits

What is an SD card?

An SD card, short for Secure Digital card, is a type of memory card used to store data such as photos, videos, and documents. It is commonly used in digital cameras, smartphones, and other portable electronic devices.

How does an SD card work?

SD cards use flash memory technology to store data. Flash memory is a type of non-volatile memory, meaning it retains data even when the power is turned off. The card is inserted into a compatible device and the data is written onto the card by an electrical charge.

What is the difference between big and little bits?

Big and little bits refer to the endianness of data in an SD card. Endianness is the order in which bytes of data are stored. Big-endian means that the most significant byte is stored first, while little-endian means that the least significant byte is stored first. This can affect the way data is read and written on different devices.

How much data can an SD card hold?

The amount of data an SD card can hold depends on the storage capacity of the card. SD cards come in various sizes, ranging from 2GB to 2TB. The amount of data that can be stored on a card also depends on the file size of the data being stored.

How can I protect the data on my SD card?

To protect the data on your SD card, you can use a write-protect switch, if available, on the card. This will prevent any data from being written onto the card. You can also use a protective case or keep the card in a safe place to prevent physical damage. It is also important to regularly back up the data on your SD card to prevent data loss.