Scintillation detector's output

• Thread starter Darren93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, scintillation detectors rely on the principle that the emission output is proportional to the input energy. This involves multiple ionizations occurring, which can result in a range of output energies. The Central Limit Theorem helps to take an average of these energies. The detector relies on the occurrence of multiple photoelectric absorptions, with the energy from the photons being transferred to the electrons in the material.
Darren93
I'm looking at scintillation detectors and I'm quite confused to the output of the crystal. My notes just say emission output has intensity proportional to input energy. How though? I mean surely for the Photoelectric effect there is a huge spectrum of output energies depending upon shell jumped. If you consider 1 of these energies you would need multiple ionisations to occur to increase intensity output. If multiple are occurring, why? Additionally how can you get mostly PE absorptions at high energy, like ~140kev. Is it say a 140kev photon is absorbed, releasing a 138kev electron? That causes 69 further ionisations. That would make some sense but I'm still confused to what exactly is going on. Plus even with 70 ionisations taking place, if you consider 1 energy output there is only a chance of this occurring. It could be k-alpha, k-beta ect. Are all considered?

Physics news on Phys.org
Darren93 said:
If you consider 1 of these energies you would need multiple ionisations to occur to increase intensity output.

Which you do.

Darren93 said:
If multiple are occurring, why?

Why not? Why should an electron suddenly stop ionizing after it's done so once?

And yes, the energy of ionization varies. But you're taking an average, and the Central Limit Theorem helps you here. Also, remember that all the energy has to end up somewhere. Double that energy, and twice as much has to end up somewhere as well.

I just found it odd that it was possible for a photon to undergo ~50 photoelectric absorption's all relatively instantaneously. Well with any large degree of occurrence. Turns out that's what the detector relies upon, thanks.

No, the photons hit electrons, those move through the material and lead to the excitations, losing a bit of energy each time.

Related to Scintillation detector's output

1. What is a scintillation detector and how does it work?

A scintillation detector is a device used to measure various types of radiation, such as gamma rays, X-rays, and alpha particles. It works by converting the energy of the radiation into light flashes, which are then detected by a photomultiplier tube. The light flashes are then amplified and converted into an electrical signal, which can be measured and analyzed.

2. What does the output of a scintillation detector represent?

The output of a scintillation detector represents the amount of radiation that has been detected. This can be measured in units such as counts per second or energy per unit time.

3. How accurate is the output of a scintillation detector?

The accuracy of the output of a scintillation detector depends on several factors, such as the type of radiation being detected, the quality of the detector, and any external factors that may interfere with the measurement. Generally, scintillation detectors have a high level of accuracy and are commonly used in scientific research and medical applications.

4. Can the output of a scintillation detector be affected by environmental conditions?

Yes, the output of a scintillation detector can be affected by environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, and background radiation. It is important to calibrate the detector and take into account any external factors when interpreting the output data.

5. What are the advantages of using a scintillation detector?

There are several advantages to using a scintillation detector, including its high sensitivity, ability to detect various types of radiation, and fast response time. It is also a non-destructive method of measuring radiation, making it suitable for use in a variety of applications.