Science Fair Project: Diffusing Water Through a Magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving two connected containers separated by a selectively permeable membrane. One container contains pure water and the other contains water and a negatively charged solute. The setup includes a negatively charged magnet which is believed to filter out the negative molecules in the water and create a constant flow of energy. However, there are concerns about entropy and it is not possible for the perpetual motion machine to work. The person asks for critiques and suggestions for improvement, and suggests sharing a picture to better understand the experiment. The conversation also touches on using a hosting website or attaching files to share the picture. The conversation also brings up the possibility of using ferrofluid or solid bismuth in the experiment, but it is noted that there
mfeneley
Two containers are connected, divided by a selectively permeable membrane. The continer on the left contains pure water. The container on the right contains water and a negatively charged solute. The container on the right is angeled vertically so that when the water diffuses across the membrane the water level will rise. At the top of the container is a magnet which is also negatively charged. I am predicting that the magnet will filter the negative molecule out of the water as it rises. However, I suspect their will be an issue concerning entropy. Anyway, if all goes to plan the water that was purified by the magnet will leave the container through a spillway. The kinetic energy from the falling water will be harnesed by a wheel. After the energy is harnesed the water is redirected back into the the container with the pure water. Hypothetically this creates a constant flow of energy which is impossible. Whats wrong with this? Please critique and give some ideas on how to improve the experiment. My written explination may be hard to understand and I am going to try and insert a picture to help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mfeneley said:
Two containers are connected, divided by a selectively permeable membrane. The continer on the left contains pure water. The container on the right contains water and a negatively charged solute. The container on the right is angeled vertically so that when the water diffuses across the membrane the water level will rise. At the top of the container is a magnet which is also negatively charged. I am predicting that the magnet will filter the negative molecule out of the water as it rises. However, I suspect their will be an issue concerning entropy. Anyway, if all goes to plan the water that was purified by the magnet will leave the container through a spillway. The kinetic energy from the falling water will be harnesed by a wheel. After the energy is harnesed the water is redirected back into the the container with the pure water. Hypothetically this creates a constant flow of energy which is impossible. Whats wrong with this? Please critique and give some ideas on how to improve the experiment. My written explination may be hard to understand and I am going to try and insert a picture to help.

As you suspect, it is not possible for the perpetual motion machine to run. Yes, if you could post a sketch, that would help us point out the problem.

A picture would help. Also, you said a negatively charged magnet will filter out the negative molecules. Did you mean a positive magnet?

What is a "negatively charged solute"?

--

How do I put a picture up?

mfeneley said:
How do I put a picture up?

If you have a picture on Photoshack or other hosting website, you can link to it here. Or you can attach PDF or JPG files in the Reply dialog page.

Quick question before I put my picture up. Is ferrofluid repelled by a magnet? If it is can it be mixed in water?

Forget that. Would water combined with solid bismouth cause pure water to pass through a selectively permeable membrane.

But energy is loss in the form of heat and sound. So no it won't create a constant flow.

Related to Science Fair Project: Diffusing Water Through a Magnet

1. What is the purpose of this science fair project?

The purpose of this science fair project is to explore the concept of diffusion and how it can be affected by the presence of a magnet. Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. By using a magnet, we can observe how the magnetic field affects the movement of water particles and whether it can speed up or slow down the process of diffusion.

2. How does a magnet affect the diffusion of water?

A magnet has a magnetic field that can exert a force on certain materials, such as iron or water. When a magnet is placed near water, the water molecules will align themselves with the magnetic field, causing them to move in a specific direction. This can speed up or slow down the diffusion process, depending on the strength and orientation of the magnet.

3. What materials are needed for this science fair project?

The materials needed for this science fair project include a small bowl, water, a magnet, food coloring, and a timer. You may also use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance the water has diffused.

4. How do you conduct this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, fill a small bowl with water and add a few drops of food coloring to make the diffusion process more visible. Place a magnet near the bowl and start the timer. Observe and record the movement of the water particles every minute for a set period of time, such as 10 minutes. You can also repeat the experiment with different strengths or orientations of the magnet to see how it affects the diffusion process.

5. What are the potential applications of this science fair project?

This science fair project can help us understand the effects of magnetic fields on the diffusion of substances, which has real-world applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and environmental science. It can also inspire further research into the manipulation of diffusion using magnetic fields, which could have potential applications in industries such as drug delivery and water purification.