Schwarzschild Solution using Cartan's Formalism

In summary, the conversation is about the OP's attempt to find the Schwarzschild solution using Cartan's method instead of the orthodox Christoffel symbol method. They have posted a thread in the Homework section but have not received any help. They are now trying to understand how to calculate certain connection forms and have received some advice from other users. The OP is struggling to understand the advice and is seeking further help. They are also trying to work out the connection two-forms and have encountered discrepancies in their calculations. They are asking for assistance in understanding the correct calculations.
Oxymoron
I posted a thread in the Homework section on my attempt to find the Schwarzschild solution using Cartan's method instead of the orthodox Christoffel symbol method. Unfortunately I wasn't getting any help :redface:

Then I was asked to move the thread to this section because I may get more attention, but this might infringe upon the rule that no homework be posted here. So I will keep it brief:

In that thread (which you are welcome to check out - for my working and stuff) I found 4 equations:

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \frac{}{}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{20}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^3 [1][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^1 = 0 = -\omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [2][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2 = \omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{20}\wedge \varepsilon^0\quad [3][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^3 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^3 + \frac{\cot\theta}{r}\varepsilon^2 \wedge \varepsilon^3 = \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^1 + \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [4][/tex]

The problem I am having is that from this information I should be able to find 6 independent connection 1-forms. The advice I have been given is this: "It should be obvious from [4] that [itex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/itex] and substituting this into [1] we have [itex]\Gamma_{300} = 0[/itex] since it is the sole coefficient of the 2-form basis element [itex]\varepsilon^3 \wedge \varepsilon^0[/itex]" and "Similarly, from [1] we have [itex]\omega_{20} = \Gamma_{202}\varepsilon^2[/itex]"

Unfortunately, this is not obvious to me :redface". And apparently we can put all this together to make

[tex]\omega_{10} = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^0 + \Gamma_{101}\varepsilon^1[/tex]

If it is possible for anyone to explain to me where they got this connection 1-form from I would be sooo happy and relieved!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT! Equation 1 is meant to read

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^0 = ...[/tex]

Ok I think I am part of the way to understanding it:

From [4], for some unknown reason, we have

[tex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

Similarly from [3], we have

[tex]\omega_{20} = \Gamma_{200}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

Substituting into [1] we have

[tex]\frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge\varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \Gamma_{200}\varepsilon^0\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0\wedge\varepsilon^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10} \wedge \varepsilon^1[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{10} = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

How does this look? Besides for the fact that I don't know why [itex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/itex] :redface:

Does anyone know how to calculate this:

[tex]\mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right)[/tex]

I am currently trying to work out the Connection two-forms. I have

[tex]\omega_{12} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Then from Cartan's second structural equation we have

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\omega_{12} + \omega_{13}\wedge\omega_{32} + \omega_{10}\wedge\omega_{02}[/tex]

the last two terms vanish and we are left with

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right)[/tex]

I used Maple 10 and tried differentiating this. The peculiar thing is this: If I made

[tex]H_1(r) = \frac{1}{\exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}\lambda(r)\right)}[/tex]

then

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}r'\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2[/tex]

which is the answer I want! BUT if I differentiate manually I keep getting:

[tex]\mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right) = \left(\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}r'\right)\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2 + \left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right)\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2[/tex]

[tex]= \left(\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}r'\right)\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2 - \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2[/tex]

since [itex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/itex].

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\left[\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{2}r' - \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right]\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

when I really want this bit to look like:

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\left[\frac{1}{r} + r' - \frac{1}{r}\right]\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Notice the subtle difference? Because then

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}r'\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Which is the correct answer.

Please help me!

Last edited:

Related to Schwarzschild Solution using Cartan's Formalism

1. What is Cartan's formalism and how is it used in the Schwarzschild solution?

Cartan's formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the curvature of spacetime. In the Schwarzschild solution, it is used to derive the equations that describe the gravitational field around a spherically symmetric mass.

2. What is the Schwarzschild solution and what does it represent?

The Schwarzschild solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations that describes the spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It represents the gravitational field of a point mass, such as a star or planet.

3. How does Cartan's formalism differ from other methods used in the Schwarzschild solution?

Cartan's formalism is a more geometric approach, using differential forms and exterior calculus, compared to other methods that use tensors and differential geometry. It provides a more intuitive understanding of the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can the Schwarzschild solution be used to describe the gravitational field of any mass?

The Schwarzschild solution is only valid for non-rotating, spherically symmetric masses. It cannot be used to describe the gravitational field of a rotating or asymmetric mass.

5. How does the Schwarzschild solution relate to black holes?

The Schwarzschild solution is often used to model the spacetime around a black hole, as it describes the gravitational field of a point mass with infinite density at the singularity. However, it does not take into account the effects of rotation or charge, which are important for understanding the properties of black holes.