Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire

In summary, it is possible to use quantum mechanics to study the classical problem of an induced magnetic field from a charged wire, known as the Aharonov-Bohm effect. This effect is discussed in various papers and books, and may be relevant for your research in computer vision.
opticalnectar
Greetings all!

I'm completely new to Quantum Mechanics (my PhD research is in Computer Vision) and I am planning to apply some concepts to my research.

I would like to know whether it's possible to get the Wave Equation over the components of a [itex]\mathbf{B}=(B_\phi,B_r,B_z)[/itex] field induced by a straight infinite wire charged with current density [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex]. I.e [itex]\Psi(B_\phi,B_r, B_z)[/itex]. Basically I want the quantum solution to the classical problem of finding the induced B field by a charged wire of infinite length.

Is this something heard of? If so does anyone have a reference/lead?

I'm assuming QED deals with particles that enter such electromagnetic fields and the wave function is over the postion/impulse of the particles and not the field components at a particular position. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

It is definitely possible to use quantum mechanics to study the classical problem of an induced magnetic field from a charged wire. This is known as the Aharonov-Bohm effect, where the wave function of a charged particle is affected by the magnetic field even if it is located in a region where the magnetic field is zero. In this case, the wave function would depend on the components of the magnetic field at a particular position.

There are several papers and books that discuss this effect, including "The Aharonov-Bohm Effect: Variations on a Theme" by Yakir Aharonov and David Bohm, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. Additionally, there are many research papers on this topic that may be helpful for your specific research interests.

You are correct in your assumption that quantum electrodynamics (QED) deals with particles interacting with electromagnetic fields, and the wave function is typically described in terms of position and momentum of the particles. However, the Aharonov-Bohm effect is an example of how the wave function can also depend on other physical quantities, such as the components of a magnetic field.

I hope this helps guide your research and I wish you the best of luck in applying quantum mechanics to computer vision. It's always exciting to see interdisciplinary applications of science!

Related to Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire

What is Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire?

Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of an electromagnetic field generated by a charged wire. It was developed by physicist Erwin Schroedinger in 1926 and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

How does Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire work?

The equation takes into account the properties of the charged wire, such as its charge and location, and uses these inputs to calculate the strength and direction of the electromagnetic field at any point in space. It is based on Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What are the applications of Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire?

This equation has many practical applications, including in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, antennas, and other devices that use electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic radiation, such as light and radio waves.

How is Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire different from other equations?

Schroedinger's Equation is a quantum mechanical equation, meaning it takes into account the wave-like behavior of electrons and other particles. This makes it more accurate for describing the behavior of electromagnetic fields at a microscopic level compared to classical equations such as Coulomb's law.

Are there any limitations to Schroedinger's Equation for Electromagnetic field induced by charged wire?

Like any scientific equation, there are limitations to its application. It is most accurate for systems with low speeds and low energies, and may not accurately predict the behavior of high energy or high-speed systems. Additionally, it does not account for effects such as relativity or quantum tunneling.