Schmidt Trigger Help: OP07 Comparator Circuit Design

• Thread starter revird163
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, this circuit uses an OP07 operational amplifier to provide a trigger output. The trigger output is set to trigger at a voltage of +/- 1V when the power supply rails are set to +/- 12V.
revird163
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the HH forums and use the HH Template in the future
I have been been trying to search forums and figure out the following question that I just cannot seem to get my head around!

Design a Schmidt comparator circuit based on an OP07 operational amplifier with the following characteristics: Power supply Voltages: +/- 12V Switching thresholds +1V, -1V

I have been trying to figure out the voltage saturation and then using this to find the resistor values for the schmidt trigger. I cannot work out what the voltage saturation is and how to calculate it at all.

Any help would be appreciated, I am really not the best at electronics!

The following is the circuit I am trying to use modeled on LTSpice:
upload_2015-11-12_14-37-44.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that you have both +V and -V available since they're powering the op amp. You can tie the bottom of your R1 to -V rather than ground, and add another resistor of the same size as R1 to tie the + input to +V as well. Then tinker with your R2 value to adjust the total spread of the triggers. By symmetry the trigger points should lie on either side of the midpoint between +V and -V, or in other words, 0 V.

revird163 said:
I have been been trying to search forums and figure out the following question that I just cannot seem to get my head around!

Design a Schmidt comparator circuit based on an OP07 operational amplifier with the following characteristics: Power supply Voltages: +/- 12V Switching thresholds +1V, -1V

I have been trying to figure out the voltage saturation and then using this to find the resistor values for the schmidt trigger. I cannot work out what the voltage saturation is and how to calculate it at all.

Any help would be appreciated, I am really not the best at electronics!

The following is the circuit I am trying to use modeled on LTSpice:
Welcome to the PF.

I would make the power supply rails using two separate sources. Otherwise their relationship to ground can be ambiguous... :smile:

Related to Schmidt Trigger Help: OP07 Comparator Circuit Design

What is a Schmidt trigger?

A Schmidt trigger is a type of comparator circuit that converts an input voltage signal into a digital output signal, either high or low. It is commonly used to clean up noisy signals and provide a more stable output.

What is an OP07 comparator?

An OP07 is a type of operational amplifier (op-amp) that is commonly used in comparator circuits. It has a high input impedance, low output impedance, and fast response time, making it well-suited for use in Schmidt trigger circuits.

How do I design a Schmidt trigger circuit using an OP07 comparator?

To design a Schmidt trigger circuit using an OP07 comparator, you will need to determine the desired trigger voltage levels, select appropriate resistors and capacitors, and then calculate the values for these components using the equations specific to the OP07 comparator. A detailed step-by-step guide can be found in many online resources or textbooks.

What are the advantages of using a Schmidt trigger in a circuit?

One of the main advantages of using a Schmidt trigger is its ability to provide a clean, stable output signal even in the presence of noisy input signals. It also has a fast response time, making it useful for applications that require quick switching between high and low states.

What are some common applications of Schmidt triggers?

Schmidt triggers are commonly used in digital circuits, such as in signal processing, level shifting, and pulse shaping. They are also used in electronic devices such as oscillators, timers, and pulse generators.