Scenario allowing a signal to travel at superluminous speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of special relativity and Einstein's second postulate, which states that no particle can exceed the speed of light. The question posed is whether a system of gears, with no loss of momentum and following Newton's third law, could transmit a signal instantly regardless of distance. However, it is explained that this is not possible due to the speed of sound in the material and the limitations of relativity.
TheGoodDoctor
Hi, new here. I'm a physics major undergraduate and just got through a class dealing with special relativity. I also learned about it a bit in high school.

My question is regarding Einstein's second postulate that, paraphrased, grants that no particle can be accelerated to a speed greater than c. But I've been thinking and came up with a scenario where you have a string of gears all arranged together. That is, you have one gear, like a sprocket, engaged to another gear to it's right and another to its right and so on until you have millions of gears that span some great distance, like the circumference of the Earth. What happens when you torque the first gear in the series?

Assuming these gears are "ideal", meaning there is no loss of momentum between the teeth of contact of two adjacent gears, and assuming Newton's 3rd law to be accurate in this case (relativity would agree, considering each gear would rotate at a relatively small angular velocity), wouldn't each gear move completely in sync, in effect rotating the final gear at the same instant the first gear is torqued? Doesn't this allow a signal to be transmitted instantly between two points regardless of the distance separating, as long as such a system is in place? Doesn't this imply the signal moves at a speed v=infinite?

I'm assuming many people have thought of(and shot down) a scenario like this, but I haven't been able to find an anything for or against it. Even the internet has failed me. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basically the same as the pushing a light-year long rod to prod the recipient.
The push only travels at the speed of sound in the material, it's the same with a gear chain (although a little harder to picture).

It would go faster than light of you had an infinitely stiff material - so relativity puts an upper limit on the speed of sound in a material and so on it's Young's modulus.

Related to Scenario allowing a signal to travel at superluminous speeds?

1. How is it possible for a signal to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for any object or signal to travel faster than the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity. Therefore, there is no known scenario that would allow a signal to travel at superluminous speeds.

2. Are there any theoretical concepts that could potentially allow for superluminous speeds?

While there are some theoretical concepts, such as wormholes and the Alcubierre drive, that have been proposed to potentially allow for faster-than-light travel, they are purely speculative and have not been proven to be possible. These concepts also come with their own set of challenges and limitations, making them highly unlikely to be achievable in reality.

3. What would be the implications of a scenario where a signal could travel at superluminous speeds?

If such a scenario were possible, it would completely defy our current understanding of physics and would have major implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially open up the possibility of time travel and could challenge the fundamental principles of causality.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of superluminous speeds?

No, there is currently no evidence to support the existence of superluminous speeds. All experimental and observational data have consistently shown that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or signal can travel.

5. How does the concept of superluminous speeds relate to the search for extraterrestrial life?

The concept of superluminous speeds is often discussed in the context of the search for extraterrestrial life, as it could potentially allow for faster communication and travel between distant civilizations. However, as mentioned before, there is currently no known scenario that would allow for this type of speed, making it highly unlikely that we will encounter any extraterrestrial life capable of superluminous travel.