Scattering Cross-section questions

In summary, the conversation involved discussing two problems from Shankar, 19.3.2 and 19.3.3, which involve spherically symmetric potentials. The first problem involves integrating a function with the given potential and the second problem involves finding the derivative of a function with the given potential. The conversation also included hints for solving the second problem, which was described as a tough problem without the use of Mathematica.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

Problems are Shankar 19.3.2 and 19.3.3 with spherically symmetric potentials V(r)=-V[tex]_{0}(r_{0}-r)\theta[/tex] and V(r)=V[tex]_{0}exp(-r_{2}/r^{0}_{2}^{})[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
f\left( \theta \right) = - \frac{{2\mu }}{{\hbar ^2 }}\int\limits_{r_0 }^r {\frac{{\sin qr'}}{q}V\left( {r'} \right)r'dr'}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{{d\sigma }}{{d\Omega }} = \left| {f\left( \theta \right)} \right|^2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't I just substitute the potentials for V(r) and integrate? The example in Shankar seemed to do that successfully for the Yukawa potential. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried it?

Yes, I did try. Shankar gives the answer to the first one:
[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}= 4r_0^2 \left( {\frac{{\mu V_0 r_0^2 }}{{\hbar ^2 }}} \right)^2 \frac{{\left( {\sin qr_0 - qr_0 \cos qr_0 } \right)^2 }}{{\left( {qr_0 } \right)^6 }}$[/tex]

Questions that arise from this:
What happened to [tex]\theta[/tex]?
What are the appropriate limits of integration - r[tex]_{0}[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]?

why to study the structure of nuclear scattering is often used as Compton scattering without using the other?

I was just working through Shankar 19.3.3 and it's seriously a tough problem (if you don't use mathematica.) I thought it might be nice to put my hints on here.

For finding ∂σ/∂Ω, I used the following tricks (in the order listed):

1. Get rid of the r in the integrand by saying r sin(qr) = ∂/∂q[cos(qr)]

2. Write the cos as the sum of exponentials

3. Combine the two exponential integrals

4. Complete the square for the exponential integral

5. Change variables to turn it into a gaussian integral

And then to find σ

6. Use shankar's hint to change the integral over q into an integral over cosθ
I think it officially qualifies as a "tricky" problem.

13.3.2 just requires you to evaluate a limit using L'Hopital's rule--it's not nearly as challenging.

Last edited:

Related to Scattering Cross-section questions

1. What is scattering cross-section?

Scattering cross-section is a measure of the probability that a particle will scatter when it interacts with other particles or fields. It is commonly used in physics to study the behavior of particles, such as photons or electrons, as they interact with other particles or fields.

2. How is scattering cross-section calculated?

Scattering cross-section is calculated by measuring the intensity of scattered particles in a particular direction and comparing it to the intensity of the incident particles. This calculation takes into account the properties of the incident and scattered particles, as well as the angle at which the scattering occurs.

3. What factors affect the value of scattering cross-section?

The value of scattering cross-section is affected by several factors, including the properties of the incident and scattered particles, the angle of scattering, and the type of interaction between the particles. It can also vary depending on the energy of the incident particles and the type of material they are interacting with.

4. What is the importance of scattering cross-section in scientific research?

Scattering cross-section plays a crucial role in scientific research, particularly in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It allows scientists to study the behavior of particles and the properties of materials, as well as to make predictions and develop new theories about the fundamental laws of nature.

5. How can scattering cross-section be experimentally determined?

Scattering cross-section can be experimentally determined by using techniques such as particle accelerators, detectors, and spectroscopy. These experiments involve measuring the intensity and direction of scattered particles in controlled conditions and analyzing the data to calculate the scattering cross-section.