Scalar product used for length?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the vector product and the dot product, which yield a vector and scalar quantity respectively. The dot product can be used to find the length of a vector, but it is not clear which product the requestor was referring to.
phospho
I got asked how the scalar product can be used to find the length of a vector? Could someone please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean vector product, also called the dot product?

V°V = |V|^2.

Or do you mean the triple scalar product:

|A°BxC|= volume of the parallelepiped with three sides defined by A,B,C.

If it is the triple scalar product you will need more information to obtain a vectors length - but the dot product provides it immediately.

UltrafastPED said:
Do you mean vector product, also called the dot product?

V°V = |V|^2.

Or do you mean the triple scalar product:

|A°BxC|= volume of the parallelepiped with three sides defined by A,B,C.If it is the triple scalar product you will need more information to obtain a vectors length - but the dot product provides it immediately.

To my knowledge, the vector product and the dot product are never given the same meaning. The vector product yields a vector quantity; the dot product yields a scalar quantity.

I'm not sure how one could use the scalar product to find the length of an arbitrary vector -- it seems like a redundant question to me. Do you know how to find the magnitude of a vector?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
To my knowledge, the vector product and the dot product are never given the same meaning. The vector product yields a vector quantity; the dot product yields a scalar quantity.

There are many vector products: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorMultiplication.html

Two of those listed above result in a scalar. I was trying to determine which one he was referring to; the OPs language was ambiguous.

The vector inner product (dot product) is the obvious method.

But the original requestor has disappeared ... so the problem is dead.

Related to Scalar product used for length?

1. What is a scalar product used for length?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation used to find the projection of one vector onto another vector. It can also be used to find the length of a vector in a given direction.

2. How is the scalar product calculated?

The scalar product is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The formula is given as: A · B = |A| |B| cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors.

3. What is the significance of the scalar product in physics?

The scalar product is used in physics to find the work done by a force on an object, as well as the angle between the force and displacement vectors. It is also used to find the component of a force acting in a particular direction.

4. How is the scalar product used in geometry?

In geometry, the scalar product is used to find the angle between two vectors, as well as the length of a vector. It is also used to determine if two vectors are perpendicular or parallel to each other.

5. Can the scalar product be negative?

Yes, the scalar product can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the scalar product.