Scalar potential in EM and Newton's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between the scalar potential psi in Electromagnetism and the scalar potential U in Newton's law, both of which are related to the force through the relationship of being the gradient of a scalar field. This means that the electric force can be represented as -grad psi or E, and the gravitational force can be represented as -grad U or F. This relationship is similar to the one between the gravitational field and weight.
luxiaolei
Hi,all, problem is:

in Electromagnetism, we introduced a scalar potential psi, such that:

E = - grad Psi

and In Newton's law, there is also a scar potential U, such that:

F= -grad U

My question is, one is the gradient of a scalar field give a field and a force?!

Can anyone help me with understanding this? That would be great, and many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The field is just a force scaled by charge. It is the same relationship as e.g. the gravitational field and weight.

DaleSpam said:
The field is just a force scaled by charge. It is the same relationship as e.g. the gravitational field and weight.

@DaleSpam; thanks for replay. I am very interested in your answer, however, I am not quite understood it. Would you explain it more? thanks

Can I say,

Electric force = -grad psi = E

or

Gravitation field = -grad U = F

if they are the same.

Yes. For example, if U = kCc/r then you get the electric force, if psi = kC/r then you get the electric field. Similarly, if U = GMm/r you get the gravitational force, if psi = GM/r then you get the gravitational field.

DaleSpam said:
Yes. For example, if U = kCc/r then you get the electric force, if psi = kC/r then you get the electric field. Similarly, if U = GMm/r you get the gravitational force, if psi = GM/r then you get the gravitational field.

Thanks a lot! Cleared my mind!

Related to Scalar potential in EM and Newton's Law

What is scalar potential in electromagnetic (EM) fields?

Scalar potential is a concept in electromagnetic theory that describes the energy distribution and flow of electric and magnetic fields. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction, and is used to calculate the work done by electric and magnetic fields on charged particles.

How is scalar potential related to Newton's Law?

Scalar potential is related to Newton's Law through the concept of force. Newton's Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. Scalar potential is used to calculate the force acting on a charged particle in an electric or magnetic field.

What is the difference between scalar potential and vector potential?

While scalar potential is a scalar quantity, vector potential is a vector quantity. Vector potential describes the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field, while scalar potential describes the energy distribution of the electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, scalar potential is related to electric fields, while vector potential is related to magnetic fields.

How is scalar potential calculated?

Scalar potential is calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at a point due to multiple sources is equal to the sum of the individual potentials at that point. The scalar potential at a point is also dependent on the distance between the point and the source of the potential.

What are some applications of scalar potential in EM fields?

Scalar potential has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, electronics, and power systems. It is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in these systems, which in turn can be used to design and optimize devices and systems. Scalar potential also has applications in medical imaging and particle accelerators.