Sanity check: Kitaev's quantum computing book

In summary: In fact, he seems to be saying that an observable with physical reality must be real, which is a much more radical assumption.
Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was flipping through Kitaev's quantum computing book today and noticed something really strange. I thought it might be fun to post it here and figure out what's going on.

See http://books.google.com/books?id=Tr...AEwAA#v=onepage&q=measuring operators&f=false for the relevant page. Basically he's talking about what he calls measuring operators, but then he gives a really strange formula (the action of W on the state midway down the page) which looks like a typo to me. In particular, why isn't there a double sum, one from W and one from W^+?

For those in know, he's basically describing how to measure eigenvalues of unitary operators using interference. This is part of the buildup to the phase estimation algorithm and various other algorithms for abelian groups.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you are right.

Hi,

There is no problem in the equation, the density matrix [itex] \rho [/itex] is a diagonal matrix (with the probabilities of each state in the diagonal), that is why you have just a sum over one index. Actually you could see it otherwise, an Observable with physical must be a real quantity, then what you are doing in the previous definition is to take the trace.

arojo said:
Hi,

There is no problem in the equation, the density matrix [itex] \rho [/itex] is a diagonal matrix (with the probabilities of each state in the diagonal), that is why you have just a sum over one index. Actually you could see it otherwise, an Observable with physical must be a real quantity, then what you are doing in the previous definition is to take the trace.

I agree that if the density matrix is diagonal then there is only one sum. However, I don't see where Kitaev has made that assumption.

Related to Sanity check: Kitaev's quantum computing book

1. What is "Sanity check: Kitaev's quantum computing book"?

"Sanity check: Kitaev's quantum computing book" is a book written by Alexei Kitaev, a renowned physicist and computer scientist, that provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to quantum computing.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is targeted towards individuals with a background in computer science or physics who are interested in learning about quantum computing. It assumes a basic understanding of linear algebra and algorithms.

3. What topics does the book cover?

The book covers a wide range of topics related to quantum computing, including quantum gates, quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, and quantum complexity theory.

4. Is the book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and concise introduction to the fundamentals of quantum computing. However, some prior knowledge of linear algebra and algorithms is recommended.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

As mentioned earlier, a basic understanding of linear algebra and algorithms is recommended. Additionally, some familiarity with quantum mechanics and classical computing would be helpful but not necessary.