Safety of small angle approximations

In summary, the conversation discusses using the small angle approximation in solving a physics problem involving a differential equation. The person used the approximation and got the correct answer, but they are unsure if it is a safe approach. The other person explains that the same approximation is widely used in beam deflection theory and it means that the solution is only valid for small angles. They also mention that the accuracy depends on the ratio of the angle to the sin of the angle.
tmiddlet
Today I was doing a problem (physics) and ended up with the a differential equation dT = -µ T sin(dθ) (Where µ is constant)

I wasn't sure what to do with the sin(dθ), so I used the small angle approximation of sin(dθ) = dθ. I would think this would be a perfect approximation because dθ is of infinitesimal size, but I'm not sure. I got the right answer, but I just wanted to make sure that this is a safe thing to do in general, or if I just got lucky.

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, this is my first post here)

Physics news on Phys.org
Beam deflection theory uses the same approximation and is widely used in practice. It just means that in your case the function T(θ) you derive is only valid for small θ. How small? Hard to say, but the ratio of θ/sin(θ) differs from unity by about 1% for θ=0.25 radians (14 degrees) and 5% for θ=0.55 radians(32 degrees). In the end it depends on how much error you can tolerate.

Related to Safety of small angle approximations

What is a small angle approximation?

A small angle approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex functions or equations that involve small angles. It is based on the assumption that for small angles, the sine, cosine, and tangent of the angle are approximately equal to the angle itself.

Why is the safety of small angle approximations important?

The safety of small angle approximations is important because it affects the accuracy of the results obtained from calculations. Using this approximation can lead to errors in the final outcome, which can have serious consequences in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

What are the limitations of small angle approximations?

The main limitation of small angle approximations is that they are only valid for small angles. As the angle increases, the error in the approximation also increases. Therefore, this technique should not be used for large angles or in situations where high levels of accuracy are required.

How can I determine if a small angle approximation is appropriate for my calculations?

The decision to use a small angle approximation should be based on the magnitude of the angle involved and the level of accuracy required for the results. If the angle is small and the desired level of accuracy is not very high, then the approximation may be appropriate. However, if the angle is large or a high level of accuracy is needed, it is best to avoid using this approximation.

Are there any alternatives to using small angle approximations?

Yes, there are alternative techniques that can be used instead of small angle approximations. These include using more accurate trigonometric functions, such as the Taylor series expansion, or using numerical methods like interpolation or integration to obtain more precise results.