Safety of rechargeable batteries?

In summary, It is generally safe to mix chargers and batteries from different brands as long as the charger is designed to charge batteries of that chemistry (NiMH in this case). Modern chargers usually have auto-detect features to prevent charging batteries of the wrong chemistry. Nickel and cadmium, while both toxic, have different levels of toxicity and are removed from the body through chelation. It is important to note that nickel salts should not be ingested and about 10-20% of the population is allergic to nickel.
azure kitsune
We bought some rechargeable batteries a few years ago. However, we managed to lose the charger that went with it. :rolleyes: Now we bought some new rechargeable batteries with a new charger. This one is of a different brand.

We still have the old batteries. My dad wants to use the new charger with the old batteries, but I'm worried that this might have some dangers. All the warning labels on the box and the batteries themselves have really made me worried, and I want to get rid of the old batteries. (I don't want to end up blowing up my house just to save a few batteries!)

I'm sure many people here know more about rechargeable batteries than my father or I do. What would you advise?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
azure kitsune said:
We bought some rechargeable batteries a few years ago. However, we managed to lose the charger that went with it. :rolleyes: Now we bought some new rechargeable batteries with a new charger. This one is of a different brand.

We still have the old batteries. My dad wants to use the new charger with the old batteries, but I'm worried that this might have some dangers. All the warning labels on the box and the batteries themselves have really made me worried, and I want to get rid of the old batteries. (I don't want to end up blowing up my house just to save a few batteries!)

I'm sure many people here know more about rechargeable batteries than my father or I do. What would you advise?

Thanks.

Try it in your neighbours house first. :P

Maybe you can pull a search online. Give us some info. on these batteries because I haven't got a clue what you might have.

What technology batteries? Is the recharger a trickle charger?

I'm not sure what information would be the most useful. The box has tons of specs.

Let's see... the new ones are by Sanyo and they're called "eneloop". It's on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198BF9W/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The old ones are by Panasonic, and it's HHR 3EPA/2B. I also found it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008W2L4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm sorry Phrak. I don't understand your questions. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
azure kitsune said:
I'm not sure what information would be the most useful. The box has tons of specs.

Let's see... the new ones are by Sanyo and they're called "eneloop". It's on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198BF9W/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The old ones are by Panasonic, and it's HHR 3EPA/2B. I also found it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008W2L4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm sorry Phrak. I don't understand your questions. :confused:

Ideally this thread should be placed in the Electrical Engineering folder that is currently
monitored by a plethora of bored electrical engineers.

Usually your rechargable batteries are NiCads. 'NiCad' is the name of one technology. There are also NiMH and Lithium Poly. Most stuff around the house is NiCad. Always use a charger made for the technology labeled on the battery. The only batteries that could be a fire hazard out of the three are Lithium Poly (LiPo, Lithium Polymer).

If you are really worried, find an extension cord and run it out the window or something.

The specs look comparable, and there's a comment on the second one saying you can use your other chargers for them. The battery types look the same.

Edit to respond to Phrak: Both of these battery types are listed as NiMH.

Thanks for all your replies. It seems reasonably safe, so tomorrow, I will pay a visit to my neighbor. :D just kidding

Phrak said:
Ideally this thread should be placed in the Electrical Engineering folder that is currently monitored by a plethora of bored electrical engineers.

I like how you put it that way. :smile: I had been looking for a more appropriate place to post this, but I don't even know what electrical engineering is...

It could also go in one of the technology forums. Don't worry about it though. The mentors here will take care of moving it to a better forum if they think it belongs someplace else.

Moonbear said:
The specs look comparable, and there's a comment on the second one saying you can use your other chargers for them. The battery types look the same.

Edit to respond to Phrak: Both of these battery types are listed as NiMH.

I'm glade to see NiMH taking over. NiCads are actually NiMH with cadmium used in some fashion an electrochemist would know about, but other materials have been found that replace the toxic cadmium.

Phrak said:
I'm glade to see NiMH taking over. NiCads are actually NiMH with cadmium used in some fashion an electrochemist would know about, but other materials have been found that replace the toxic cadmium.

And nickel salts aren't toxic?

signerror said:

Oh, an expert.

Zn, Cu, and Al are also toxic. What are relative toxicities of Ni and Cd. Which is treatable?

Last edited:
There is nothing unsafe about mixing chargers and batteries from different brands, as long as the charger is designed to charge batteries of that chemistry (NiMH in this case).

Most modern chargers will auto-detect the battery chemistry and refuse to charge batteries of the wrong chemistry anyway.

- Warren

You won't hurt anything by using the wrong charger or batteries. Just do it in the garage or outdoors.

signerror said:

First epileptic seizure induced by occupational nickel poisoning.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15946340
The remarkable coincidence that a colleague of his, with whom he was working to clean the same workshop, had been admitted 1 week earlier for respiratory distress, coma, and de novo nonconvulsive focal status epilepticus, led us to consider a possible toxicologic etiology. Urine analysis revealed a high nickel concentration, suggestive of acute nickel poisoning.
Of course, this required high levels of exposure.

Nickel salts should not be injested.

About 10-20% of the population are allergic to nickel.
www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/files/nickelfaq.pdf

Toxicological Profile for Nickel
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp15.html

Toxicological Profile for Cadmium
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp5.html
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/cadmium/index.html

Cadmium is more toxic than nickel.

Transitional (including heavy) metals are removed from the body with 'chelation therapy'.

Astronuc said:
Cadmium is more toxic than nickel.

Transitional (including heavy) metals are removed from the body with 'chelation therapy'.

I don't believe there is any treatment for Cd behond immediate treatment with the ingestion of Zn. Cd accumulates in the kidneys.

Chronic toxicity of Cd ions by ingestion (whatever that means) is 50 to 100 micrograms per day per kilogram of body weight, far in excess of Ni, which is why there is nickel coinage, but cadmium plated screws are no longer found at the hardware store.

Nickel toxicity is not as well qualified.

An interesting subject. I wish I could relocate the references I'd found.

Last edited:
Whichever type of batteries you use, make sure the charger is the type that turns itself off when the batteries are fully charged.

NiCd and NiMH batteries start to heat up once they are fully charged.
Just overheating NiMH batteries once can ruin them.

So spending $20 on batteries and then using a $10 charger that doesn't turn itself off seems like bad economics.

The new batteries you mention are very good. They come fully charged and hold a high percentage of their charge if unused for a long time.

Related to Safety of rechargeable batteries?

What is the difference between rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable batteries are designed to be used multiple times and can be recharged by using electricity, whereas non-rechargeable batteries can only be used once and must be disposed of after use.

Are rechargeable batteries safe to use?

Yes, rechargeable batteries are generally considered safe to use. However, as with any type of battery, there is a risk of fire or explosion if the battery is damaged or used improperly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and handle rechargeable batteries with care.

Can rechargeable batteries be overcharged?

Yes, rechargeable batteries can be overcharged if they are left connected to a charger for too long. This can shorten the lifespan of the battery and may also pose a safety risk. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended charging times and avoid overcharging the battery.

Do rechargeable batteries have a memory effect?

Some types of rechargeable batteries, such as nickel-cadmium (NiCd) batteries, are known to have a memory effect. This means that if they are not fully discharged before being recharged, their capacity may decrease over time. However, many modern rechargeable batteries, such as lithium-ion batteries, do not have a memory effect.

How should I dispose of rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable batteries should not be disposed of in regular household waste. They often contain toxic chemicals that can harm the environment if not disposed of properly. Many retailers and recycling centers offer programs for recycling rechargeable batteries. It is important to follow local guidelines for proper disposal of rechargeable batteries.