S11 and Frequency Modeling for Physical Parameter

In summary, the conversation is about trying to obtain an empirical equation or model that relates two inputs (frequency and S11) to one output (a physical parameter). The person has done various simulations but is now looking for suggestions on how to approach this task. They have also tried using a system identification tool in Matlab, but the results were confusing. They mention wanting to relate the reflection coefficient of a material to a physical property, such as length or electrical properties, at specific frequencies. However, there is still a lack of specific information and it is unclear what exactly they are trying to achieve.
labd0001
Hi all,

I am trying to obtain an empirical equation/model having 2 inputs (frequency and S11) and one output (a physical parameter)
I have done various simulations using CST of the System and now I am trying to relate S11 and frequency to a physical parameter. Any suggestions of how I should go about it?

I have tried using system identification tool in Matlab but the results I obtained are rather confusing and I am not sure whether the approach is correct.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have described a box with three wires (I'm guessing it's electronic, it could be three tubes or three nerves or something - you havn't actually said) coming out of it.
Two are labelled "input" and one "output" ... the input wires are further labelled "frequency" and "S11".
There is no description of what is in the box or what these labels actually refer to.

You want the "output" to be something to do with a physical parameter" but you don't know which parameter and you have not said what would count - presumably the signal that comes from the output is not, itself, a physical parameter.

Basically the request is too wide open for any answer to be useful.
Usually, the act of describing your problem is sufficient detail and specificity to get a useful answer will result in an answer occurring to you.

I would like to relate (empirically) the reflection coefficient of a material with a physical property being length, electrical properties etc for specific frequencies. That is why the input of the model/equation will be the frequency and reflection coefficient (at that particular frequency) and the output is the physical property I am relating to.

OK - you you want your box to tell you some length given the reflection coefficent and frequency?
You have said that the reflection coefficient is for a material - presumably the material surface?
What is the frequency of: incoming light perhaps? You have to say. The software you are using is a tad general.
Finally, "length" of what?

I don't know what " electrical properties etc for specific frequencies" means in this context - please be specific.

frequency of incident signal. I am doing a sweep from 8-15GHz and recording the S11.
What i did is the following, I simulated a material (with known electrical properties) and calculated the S11 for 8-15GHz. Therefore I have the S11 for particular frequencies and their corresponding electrical properties. Now I would like to obtain a model so if I do measurements of S11 in the laboratory using the same system I used in the simulation, I can calculate the electrical properties.

I hope this makes it clearer.

It would be clearer to me if I knew what a 511 is.

S11 is the reflection coefficient measured using a vector network analyser

OK - you have a computer model already that takes some "known electrical properties" (whatever that means) and gives you the reflection coefficient as a function of incident frequency.

But what you want another model that goes the other way ... takes the data for S11(f) and tells you the "electrical properties".

It is unlikely that this is possible - in general, the reverse mapping won't be unique.

Inside the computer model is a set of calculations ... to get the reverse model, you need to reverse the calculations.
For more information on how to get a model (in your case, the "electrical properties") from data, have a look at "inverse problems" from S.M.Tan, here: http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/ ... that should give you an idea of how much vital information you have left out.

Until you are more forthcoming I cannot help you.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Labd0001, it would help if you told us exactly what you are trying to do. Could you go into more detail please? What exactly are you trying to do?

Related to S11 and Frequency Modeling for Physical Parameter

1. What is S11 and Frequency Modeling for Physical Parameter?

S11 and Frequency Modeling for Physical Parameter is a scientific method used to analyze the behavior of physical parameters, such as electrical impedance, over a range of frequencies. It involves measuring the S11 parameter, also known as the reflection coefficient, at various frequencies to create a model of the physical parameter's behavior.

2. Why is S11 and Frequency Modeling important in scientific research?

S11 and Frequency Modeling allows scientists to understand how physical parameters change over a range of frequencies, which is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, materials science, and biophysics. It also helps in the design and optimization of systems that rely on these parameters.

3. How is S11 measured?

S11 is typically measured using a network analyzer, which sends a known signal through the system and measures the reflected signal. The ratio of the reflected signal to the incident signal is the S11 parameter, represented in decibels (dB).

4. What is the significance of the S11 parameter?

The S11 parameter represents the amount of energy that is reflected back from a system. It provides information about the impedance matching of the system and can be used to determine the characteristics and behavior of the physical parameter being measured.

5. Can S11 and Frequency Modeling be applied to other physical parameters besides electrical impedance?

Yes, S11 and Frequency Modeling can be applied to other physical parameters, such as mechanical impedance and acoustic impedance. The concept remains the same, where the S11 parameter is measured at various frequencies to create a model of the parameter's behavior over the frequency range.