S vs. P polarization (classical EM)

In summary, the conversation discusses S vs P polarization of light and how it relates to TE and TM waves. It is mentioned that S and P stand for "senkrecht"=perpendicular and "parallel" and refer to the magnetic field of the electromagnetic wave. It is also noted that at the Brewster angle, the reflection coefficient for one of the components is zero. The conversation concludes with a source being provided for more information on Fresnel equations.
pierce15
Hello,

I am having trouble wrapping my head around S vs P polarization of light. First, if linearly polarized light strikes an interface of two linear media, what determines whether it is S or P polarized? Also, why are these the only two options, i.e. why can't the polarization of the incident light be oblique relative to the plane of incidence?

Thanks for your help.

Science news on Phys.org
Do you have a source, where this terminology is used, i.e., where it is defined what S and P polarization means? I know it from the German literature as synonyma for TE and TM waves (transverse magnetic or transverse electric) for a mirror, where the electric or magnetic field are in the plane spanned by the direction of incidence and the mirror-normal vector respectively. S and P stand for "senkrecht"=perpendicular and "parallel" (denoting whether the magnetic field is perpendicular or parallel to the mirror surface). For some historical reason the names thus refer to the magnetic field of the em. wave. I'm always confused by this, and I'd prefer TE and TM, where it's clearly said that the electric or magnetic field are transverse (i.e., perpendicular to the mirror plane).

pierce15 said:
Hello,

I am having trouble wrapping my head around S vs P polarization of light. First, if linearly polarized light strikes an interface of two linear media, what determines whether it is S or P polarized? Also, why are these the only two options, i.e. why can't the polarization of the incident light be oblique relative to the plane of incidence?

Thanks for your help.
Who said it cannot be oblique? If it is oblique you can analyse it as a combination of S and P components. Same as you resolve a vector along two perpendicular axes in mechanics problems. The reflection and transmission coefficients for the two components are given by Fresnel's equations. At Brewster angle the reflection coefficient for one of the components is zero. For any other angle both components are reflected (and transmitted) but as they have different coefficients, the polarization of the reflected wave will be different than that of the incident light.
See figure 57 on this webpage for more details.
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node104.html

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Do you have a source, where this terminology is used, i.e., where it is defined what S and P polarization means?
Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

nasu said:
If it is oblique you can analyse it as a combination of S and P components.
That makes much more sense. I had seen the derivation of both Fresnel equations but didn't realize that the most general case of polarization could be decomposed and the Fresnel equations subsequently applied. Thanks.

Ok, so it's one more notion taken from German (despite Bremsstrahlung and Zitterbewegung) :-)).

Related to S vs. P polarization (classical EM)

1. What is S vs. P polarization?

S vs. P polarization refers to the orientation of electromagnetic waves, specifically in the visible light spectrum. S polarization (also known as transverse electric polarization) refers to waves with an electric field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while P polarization (transverse magnetic polarization) refers to waves with a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. How does S vs. P polarization affect light reflection?

When light is reflected off of a surface, the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light hits the surface) determines whether the reflected light will be S or P polarized. S polarization occurs when the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the surface, while P polarization occurs when the angle of incidence is parallel to the surface.

3. Can S vs. P polarization be observed in nature?

Yes, S vs. P polarization can be observed in nature. For example, the sky appears blue due to the S polarization of light scattered by the Earth's atmosphere, while the sun's rays are P polarized due to their angle of incidence.

4. How does S vs. P polarization affect 3D glasses?

S vs. P polarization is used in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth in movies and other media. The glasses contain lenses with different polarization filters, allowing each eye to see a slightly different image. This creates the perception of depth in the brain.

5. Is S vs. P polarization important in everyday life?

While S vs. P polarization may not be something we actively think about in our daily lives, it plays a significant role in many technologies and applications. For example, it is used in 3D imaging, LCD displays, and polarized sunglasses. It also has implications in fields such as astronomy and material science.