S-Matrix in non-relativistic limit

In summary, the S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit is a simplified mathematical tool in quantum mechanics used to describe the scattering of low-energy particles. It is a diagonal matrix that represents the probability amplitudes of different scattering processes, and it is closely related to other concepts such as the wave function and the Hamiltonian. However, it is not applicable to high-energy particles.
nklohit
I have a problem in deriving the formula :
[tex]\left \langle p^\prime | iT | p \right\rangle = -2\pi i\widetilde{ V}(q)\delta(E_{p^\prime}-E_{p})[/tex]
which is in Peskin's QFT book. How to derive it?
Is there anything to do with [tex] \psi = e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}}+\frac{f(\theta)}{r}e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{r}}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy delta function comes from an integral of the exponential time factors in
\psi(r,t)~exp[i(E_p-E-p')].
The V(q) is the Fourier transform of the potential.

Thank you :)

Related to S-Matrix in non-relativistic limit

1. What is the S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit?

The S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the scattering of non-relativistic particles, such as atoms and molecules, off of each other. It is a matrix of complex numbers that relates the initial and final states of a scattering process.

2. How is the S-Matrix different in the non-relativistic limit compared to the relativistic case?

In the non-relativistic limit, the S-Matrix simplifies to a diagonal matrix, where each element represents the probability amplitude of a specific scattering process. In the relativistic case, the S-Matrix is more complex and can contain off-diagonal terms, representing the possibility of particle creation or annihilation during the scattering process.

3. What is the significance of the non-relativistic limit in quantum mechanics?

The non-relativistic limit is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to simplify complex calculations for scattering processes involving low-energy particles. This makes it a useful approximation for studying many physical systems, such as atoms and molecules, which behave non-relativistically in most cases.

4. Can the S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit be applied to all types of particles?

No, the S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit is only applicable to particles that behave non-relativistically, meaning their velocities are much lower than the speed of light. This includes most everyday particles, such as atoms and molecules, but not high-energy particles, such as photons or electrons in accelerators.

5. How does the S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit relate to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

The S-Matrix in the non-relativistic limit is closely related to other important concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the wave function and the Hamiltonian. It can be derived from the wave function using the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, and it also plays a crucial role in calculations involving the Hamiltonian, which describes the total energy of a system.