Rutherford's Alpha particles experiment

In summary, Rutherford's experiments showed that the plum pudding model of the atom, proposed by JJ Thomson, was incorrect. He expected deflections of alpha particles through small angles because the prevailing belief was that the atom consisted of dot-like electrons suspended in a positively charged cloud. However, the unexpected large angles of deflection led to the revised model of a small, dense nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons. Rutherford's experiments also proved that alpha particles were actually helium nuclei. The plum pudding model, proposed in 1904, was disproved by Rutherford's experiments which showed that the atom has a nucleus. One of Rutherford's famous quotes describes the surprise of the large deflections as being like firing a bullet at a sheet of paper and
manogyana25
According to JJ Thomson's atomic model, Rutherford expected deflections of alpha particles through small angles. I'm unable to understand why he had expected "small angles". Can someone please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before the Rutherford experiments, it was very popular to believe that an atom consisted of dot-like electrons suspended in a spread out positively charged cloud like a plum pudding (this being known as the plum pudding model of the atom).

If that were the case, then the alpha particles would mostly pass through or get deflected by small angles, because the only hard objects to scatter off of would be the tiny (and relatively light) electrons, which were much lighter than the alpha particles.

Since some of the alpha particles were actually deflected at large angles, the model of the atom was revised to be a small positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting negatively charged electrons.

Interesting side question:
At the time that those experiments were done, did scientists understand alpha particles to be charged nuclei of helium, or were they just thought of as different particles all their own?
Also:
Where'd the plum pudding model come from in the first place?

jfizzix said:
Before the Rutherford experiments, it was very popular to believe that an atom consisted of dot-like electrons suspended in a spread out positively charged cloud like a plum pudding (this being known as the plum pudding model of the atom).

If that were the case, then the alpha particles would mostly pass through or get deflected by small angles, because the only hard objects to scatter off of would be the tiny (and relatively light) electrons, which were much lighter than the alpha particles.

Since some of the alpha particles were actually deflected at large angles, the model of the atom was revised to be a small positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting negatively charged electrons.

Interesting side question:
At the time that those experiments were done, did scientists understand alpha particles to be charged nuclei of helium, or were they just thought of as different particles all their own?
Yes, it was understood that alpha particles were in fact helium nuclei. Rutherford himself had done experiments which proved such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle

Rutherford was the scientist who classified radiation into the three types known today: alpha, beta, and gamma.

Also:
Where'd the plum pudding model come from in the first place?

The plum pudding model was proposed by JJ Thompson in 1904. This model was later shown to be incorrect once experiments showed that the atom has a nucleus.
Again, Rutherford provided the key analysis of the experimental data which showed the the plum pudding model was not an accurate representation of the atomic structure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_pudding_model

manogyana25 said:
According to JJ Thomson's atomic model, Rutherford expected deflections of alpha particles through small angles. I'm unable to understand why he had expected "small angles". Can someone please explain.

You would expect small angles unless the mass is distributed very unevenly throughout the atom, and before Rutherford there was no particular reason to expect such an uneven distribution. It's easy to overlook just how extraordinary the mass distribution in an atom is: for example the nucleus of a hydrogen atom occupies about one one-billionth of the volume of the atom, yet represents 99.9% of the mass.

One of Rutherford's contemporaries (I do not remember who) remarked that the large angles were like firing a naval gun at a sheet of paper and having the shell sometimes bounce back instead of going through; that's not something that you'd expect. (My favorite image is to consider how surprised we'd be to find that a one-ton elephant is actually an elephant-sized cloud of elephant-colored weightless vapor surrounding a one-ton mosquito).

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
Nugatory said:
One of Rutherford's contemporaries (I do not remember who) remarked that the large angles were like firing a naval gun at a sheet of paper and having the shell sometimes bounce back instead of going through; that's not something that you'd expect. (My favorite image is to consider how surprised we'd be to find that a one-ton elephant is actually an elephant-sized cloud of elephant-colored weightless vapor surrounding a one-ton mosquito).

It was Rutherford himself who made this quote, in a lecture delivered at Cambridge U:
It was quite the most incredible event that has ever happened to me in my life. It was almost as incredible as if you fired a 15-inch shell at a piece of tissue paper and it came back and hit you. On consideration, I realized that this scattering backward must be the result of a single collision, and when I made calculations I saw that it was impossible to get anything of that order of magnitude unless you took a system in which the greater part of the mass of the atom was concentrated in a minute nucleus. It was then that I had the idea of an atom with a minute massive centre, carrying a charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger–Marsden_experiment

Likes Nugatory
SteamKing said:
It was Rutherford himself who made this quote, in a lecture delivered at Cambridge U:

Yes, that's the quote I was thinking of... Thanks.

manogyana25 said:

To fix the ideas, if during a match a player kicks some penalties, the ball (alpha particle) may have more collisions with a lot grass (electrons), deviating a little, but it will continue to move in that direction; if the player can kick the ball off a goal post (nuclei), the same ball would bounce off.

Since nuclei was unknown and one was inducted to think that it was always possible to cross the atom, the fist time the opposite phenomenon was observed, someone said that it was like to shoot at a paper (atom) and then to see the bullet (alpha particle) bouncing back...

Likes manogyana25

Related to Rutherford's Alpha particles experiment

What was Rutherford's Alpha particles experiment?

Rutherford's Alpha particles experiment was a groundbreaking experiment conducted by scientist Ernest Rutherford in 1909. It involved directing a beam of alpha particles at a thin gold foil and observing their behavior.

What were the results of Rutherford's experiment?

Rutherford's experiment showed that most of the alpha particles passed straight through the gold foil, but a small percentage were deflected at large angles and a few even bounced straight back. This led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus and the concept of the atom having a small, dense, positively charged center.

Why was Rutherford's experiment important?

Rutherford's experiment was important because it provided evidence for the existence of the atomic nucleus and helped to disprove the previously accepted "plum pudding" model of the atom. It also laid the foundation for further research and understanding of atomic structure.

What is the significance of the alpha particles used in the experiment?

Alpha particles are a type of radiation that consist of two protons and two neutrons, making them positively charged. They were chosen for the experiment because of their high energy and ability to penetrate materials, allowing for the observation of their behavior as they passed through the gold foil.

How did Rutherford's experiment contribute to our understanding of the atom?

Rutherford's experiment revolutionized our understanding of the atom by showing that it consisted of a small, dense, positively charged nucleus surrounded by mostly empty space. This helped to explain the behavior of alpha particles and other subatomic particles and paved the way for further discoveries in the field of atomic physics.