Running out of hair to yank out (tension)

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of being stuck on a problem and a specific physics problem involving a sedan being towed on an incline. The first question asks for the force required to pull the chain in order to keep the car moving at a constant speed, while the second question asks for the tension in the chain. The participants in the conversation also share their thoughts and uncertainties about the problem.
Tycho
I've been stuck on this problem all weekend. yes, all weekend. no partying, no hanging, no general fun of any kind. What's so frustrating about this is that i just can't seem to get it started.

A sedan rolled off the road and needs to be towed. In order to get the car on the tow bed, it is pulled along an incline of 23.1 degrees with a chain wrapped around a frictionless axle, composed of a solid cylinder of mass 58.2kg and a diameter .211m. The car has a mass of 1120kg.

a) find the force required to pull on the chain in order that the car moves at a constant speed

b) find the tension in the chain.

At this point, I would generally say what I know, but after staring at this all weekend, all I KNOW is that I'm running out of hair to yank out! Someone please have mercy on my poor, tortured soul!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now take this with a grain of salt, since axles and pulleys have never been my forte, but I think it depends on where the other end of the chain is connected. If it's connected to some tow truck, it shouldn't mater, both of the forces should be the same and equal to the force parallel to the incline necessary to keep the car stationary (you can calculate that as usual from the force of gravity + normal force etc). I think there'd only be a difference if the car was "towing itself" by means of some axle (ie, if the chain looped back). So I pretty much think this is a scare problem that over-provides you with information (the axle can be ignored since it is frictionless).

But I'm not quite 100% sure; as I said, my axle/pulley understanding is not as great as it could be.

Duarh said:
Now take this with a grain of salt, since axles and pulleys have never been my forte, but I think it depends on where the other end of the chain is connected. If it's connected to some tow truck, it shouldn't mater, both of the forces should be the same and equal to the force parallel to the incline necessary to keep the car stationary (you can calculate that as usual from the force of gravity + normal force etc). I think there'd only be a difference if the car was "towing itself" by means of some axle (ie, if the chain looped back). So I pretty much think this is a scare problem that over-provides you with information (the axle can be ignored since it is frictionless).

But I'm not quite 100% sure; as I said, my axle/pulley understanding is not as great as it could be.

This is what i thought at first, but it is scaring me a little more then usual, especially since we JUST covered this in class. I'm with you, though. i don't see how the stupid cylinder would make a difference, lol. it just seems like the only purpose it would serve would be to avoid making an angle that the chain pulls on the car.

does anyone else have a say on this?

Related to Running out of hair to yank out (tension)

1. What causes the feeling of "running out of hair to yank out" when under tension?

The feeling of "running out of hair to yank out" when under tension is caused by the release of stress hormones, such as cortisol, in response to a perceived threat or stressor. These hormones can cause a variety of physical and emotional reactions, including the urge to pull out one's hair.

2. Is "running out of hair to yank out" a sign of a mental health disorder?

Yes, "running out of hair to yank out" can be a symptom of a mental health disorder known as trichotillomania. This disorder is characterized by recurrent urges to pull out one's hair, resulting in noticeable hair loss and distress.

3. How common is the urge to yank out hair when under tension?

The urge to yank out hair when under tension is relatively common, with estimates suggesting that around 1-2% of the population may experience symptoms of trichotillomania. However, many individuals may also experience occasional hair-pulling behaviors when under stress.

4. Are there any treatments available for managing "running out of hair to yank out" under tension?

Yes, there are various treatments available for managing "running out of hair to yank out" under tension. These may include therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, to address underlying psychological factors, as well as medication, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), to help manage symptoms.

5. Can "running out of hair to yank out" under tension cause permanent damage?

In most cases, "running out of hair to yank out" under tension will not result in permanent damage. However, repeatedly pulling out hair can lead to scarring and permanent hair loss in some cases. It is important to seek treatment if this behavior becomes a problem in order to prevent potential long-term consequences.