Running 3 motors in circuit, where to insert lipo alarm?

In summary, this schematic has a voltage meter that needs to be connected to a power supply that is also connected to three motors. The voltage meter needs to have enough capacity not to be drained by the motors, and it should be connected to the power supply before or after the voltage meter.
Stoph
Hi all!

I'm working off of this schematic for a modded Nerf blaster (note: schematic not my own work).

c9pWHCr.png

I am hoping to hook up a little lipo alarm (http://rcbitz.com.au/images/MiniLipoAlarm.jpg ) somewhere in there to display the voltage of my 1s lipo I'm using to power it.

Question:
Where can I put it that it will read the voltage, and will running 3 motors intermittently cause false readings?

Hope that makes sense!

- C

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just the voltage of the power supply? Connect it in parallel to the power supply. Depending on the motors, the voltage might oscillate a bit, then the displayed voltage will depend on details of the voltage measurement. An additional capacitor could reduce those oscillations.

mfb said:
Just the voltage of the power supply? Connect it in parallel to the power supply. Depending on the motors, the voltage might oscillate a bit, then the displayed voltage will depend on details of the voltage measurement. An additional capacitor could reduce those oscillations.
Thanks! That helps.

So a capacitor would smooth out any spikes to both operation of motors and readout of voltage, yes? Any cap size recommendations? And that would go parallel into the circuit before or after the voltage meter? Thanks!

Stoph said:
So a capacitor would smooth out any spikes to both operation of motors and readout of voltage, yes?
Right.
Stoph said:
Any cap size recommendations?
Enough to not get drained significantly within one revolution of the motors. Maybe even larger if you want to change the motor power frequently.
Stoph said:
And that would go parallel into the circuit before or after the voltage meter?
There is no before and after. Both parallel to the power supply.

mfb said:
Right.
Enough to not get drained significantly within one revolution of the motors. Maybe even larger if you want to change the motor power frequently.
There is no before and after. Both parallel to the power supply.

Champion! Thanks mfb!

Related to Running 3 motors in circuit, where to insert lipo alarm?

1. What is the purpose of running 3 motors in circuit?

Running 3 motors in circuit allows for increased power and efficiency in a device or machine. By connecting the motors in a circuit, they can work together to achieve a desired output, such as increased speed or torque.

2. How do I connect 3 motors in a circuit?

The specific method of connecting 3 motors in a circuit may vary depending on the type and size of the motors. However, in general, you will need to connect the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals of each motor to the corresponding terminals of the others, creating a loop. It is important to ensure that the motors are connected in the correct direction to avoid any issues.

3. What is a lipo alarm and why is it important?

A lipo alarm is a small device that is connected to a lithium polymer (lipo) battery to monitor its voltage. Lipos can be dangerous if overcharged, so the alarm acts as a safety measure to alert you when the battery's voltage gets too low. This helps prevent damage to the battery and potential safety hazards.

4. Where should I insert the lipo alarm in the circuit?

The lipo alarm should be inserted between the battery and the rest of the circuit, so that it can monitor the voltage of the battery. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific alarm you are using to ensure it is connected correctly.

5. Do I need to use a lipo alarm for each motor in the circuit?

No, you only need to use one lipo alarm for the entire circuit. As long as it is connected between the battery and the rest of the circuit, it will monitor the voltage for all of the motors. However, if you are using multiple batteries, you may need to use a lipo alarm for each battery.