Runge-Kutta methond for n body C++

In summary: You can also compare your final position to the analytical solution at each step.A more challenging but still simple problem is the 1D harmonic oscillator with a spring constant k and mass m, oscillating starting at position x0 and velocity v0. The analytical solution is well-known, so you can compare your solution with that to make sure you get it right.These are just suggestions. I hope you find them helpful.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the 2nd order Runge-Kutta method to simulate the rotation of a planet around a star. The code provided is not functioning as expected and the person is seeking help to identify the issue. The mentor suggests looking for typos and emphasizes the importance of proper commenting to make
Silviu
Hi! I am trying to simulate the rotation of a planet around a star, using the 2nd order Runge-Kutta method (I am starting with this and I will try 4th order later, I am new to this topic). I have this code but it doesn't work. When I plot y(x) I should get a circle, but I don't get it. Any idea what am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Code:
#include<iostream>
#include <vector>
#include<math.h>
#include <fstream>

usingnamespace std;

class Body{
  private:
    double G= 1;
    double rx;
    double ry;
    double rz;
    double vx;
    double vy;
    double vz;
    double mass;
    double dt = 0.001;
    double dist,dx,dy;
    double x1,vx1,ax1,ax2;
    double y1,vy1,ay1,ay2;

public:
    Body(double rx, double ry, double rz, double vx, double vy, double vz, double mass){
        this->rx=rx;
        this->ry=ry;
        this->rz=rz;
        this->vx=vx;
        this->vy=vy;
        this->vz=vz;
        this->mass=mass;
    }

void update(Body b){

//Step 1
        dx=b.rx-rx;
        dy=b.ry-ry;
        dist = sqrt(dx*dx+dy*dy);

ax1=G*b.mass*dx/(dist*dist*dist);
        ay1=G*b.mass*dy/(dist*dist*dist);

//Step 2
        x1=rx+vx*dt*0.5;
        vx1=vx+ax1*dt*0.5;

y1=ry+vy*dt*0.5;
        vy1=vy+ay1*dt*0.5;

dx=b.rx-x1;
        dy=b.ry-y1;

dist = sqrt(dx*dx+dy*dy);

ax2=G*b.mass*dx/(dist*dist*dist);
        ay2=G*b.mass*dy/(dist*dist*dist);

rx=rx+0.5*(vx1+vx)*dt;
        ry=ry+0.5*(vy1+vy)*dt;

vx=vx+0.5*(ax1+ax2)*dt;
        vy=vy+0.5*(ay1+ay2)*dt;   
    }

double get_x(){
        return rx;
    }

double get_y(){
        return ry;
    }
};

int main(){
    Body body1(0,0,0,0,0,0,1000), body2(10,0,0,0,10,0,10);
    ofstream pos;

pos.open ("Position.txt");
    int N=100000;

for(int i; i<N;i++){
        body2.update(body1);
        pos<<body2.get_x()<<" "<<body2.get_y()<<endl;
    }

pos.close();
}

<<Mentor's note: please use code tags when posting code.>>

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I spotted at least one major typo that would be throwing your simulation off:

ay2=G*b.mass*dx/(dist*dist*dist);

Change that to:

ay2=G*b.mass*dy/(dist*dist*dist);

You should look for additional typos.

More importantly, since you say you're new to the topic, you should take notes how troubleshooting this code took a long time to resolve a simple issue. One of the essential skills of a programmer in any field is writing code that's easy to fix. The most important technique is proper commenting. You don't need a billion comments, you just need enough. I would advise you to get into the habit of writing comments before every method declaration that contain at least one example of how the method works. For example:

// The redundant(a,b) function takes a character input a and prints it to the screen some number of times b.
// Inputs: a--some character to print
// b--an integer value, how many times to print the character a
// Example: redundant('a',3) prints "aaa" to standard output

void redundant(char a,int b) {
for (int ii=0;ii<b;ii++) {
std::cout<<a;
}
}

It looks tedious, and sometimes it is, but it's still less tedious than debugging uncommented code. There are other organizational tricks I would recommend to make your life easier, but if you can just get this one habit down you'll be a happier coder. Especially if you want to do something as intricate as many body problems. I hope you find this helpful.

I would also suggest you use a simple problem which has a simple analytical solution first, if you haven't already.

For example the 1D ballistic problem is nice because you can very easily verify that the velocity and acceleration makes sense for each step, by printing the actual values and the expected values.

Related to Runge-Kutta methond for n body C++

1. What is the Runge-Kutta method for n body simulations in C++?

The Runge-Kutta method is a numerical algorithm used to solve differential equations. It is commonly applied to n body simulations in physics and engineering, where the motion of multiple interacting bodies is calculated over a period of time.

2. How does the Runge-Kutta method work for n body simulations?

The Runge-Kutta method works by breaking down the differential equations into smaller steps and calculating the positions and velocities of each body at each step. The method uses a weighted average of these steps to approximate the solution to the equations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Runge-Kutta method for n body simulations in C++?

The Runge-Kutta method is a highly accurate and efficient method for solving differential equations. It is also easy to implement in C++ and can handle complex systems with multiple interacting bodies.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Runge-Kutta method for n body simulations in C++?

While the Runge-Kutta method is generally accurate, it can encounter numerical errors when used to simulate chaotic systems or systems with very small time steps. It is important to carefully choose the step size and to consider alternative methods for these types of systems.

5. How can I implement the Runge-Kutta method for n body simulations in C++?

There are many resources available online that provide detailed instructions and code for implementing the Runge-Kutta method in C++. It is important to have a good understanding of the method and its limitations before attempting to use it in your own simulations.