Rules for gaussian random variables - ornstein uhlenbeck process

P(x(t)) dx(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (-x + \frac{1}{\kappa} \eta)^n P(x(t)) dx(t) = \frac{1}{\kappa^n} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \eta^n P(\eta) d\etaSince we know the probability density function of \eta, we can evaluate this integral and obtain:<m_n> = \frac{1}{\kappa^n} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \eta^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi D(t-t')}}e^{-\
yaboidjaf

Homework Statement

The Langevin equation for the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process is

[tex]
\dot{x} = -\kappa x(t) + \eta (t)
[/tex]

where the noise [tex]\eta[/tex] has azero mean and variance [tex]<\eta (t)\eta (t')> = 2D(t-t')\delta[/tex] with [tex]D \equiv kT/M\gamma[/tex]. Assume the process was started at [tex]t0 = - \infty[/tex]. Using the fact that [tex]\eta (t)[/tex] is a Gaussian random variable, show that the moments of x(t) are:

<[x(t)]^2n> = (2n - 1)!(D/k)^n, <[x(t)]^2n+1> = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked through solving the O-U process and can show the first two cases, where n = 0, 1 and 2 and there is a rule that the average of an odd number of gaussian variables gives 0 so i can show the 2n+1 case. But I struggle when it comes to the general case for 2n. I know that when you have an even number of these variables that you get a set number of combinations and work out the individual integrands, but I don't know how to show this for n. I tried induction and that doesn't work.

Any ideas?? any help woud be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist who specializes in stochastic processes and I am happy to help you with this problem.

First, let's recall the definition of the moments of a random variable x(t):

<m_n> = <[x(t)]^n> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(t)^n P(x(t)) dx(t)

where P(x(t)) is the probability density function of x(t). In this case, since we are dealing with a Gaussian random variable, we can use the probability density function of a normal distribution, which is given by:

P(x(t)) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}e^{-(x(t)-\mu)^2/2\sigma^2}

where \mu is the mean and \sigma^2 is the variance of the random variable. In our case, since the noise \eta has a zero mean and a variance of 2D(t-t')\delta, we can write:

P(x(t)) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi D(t-t')}}e^{-x(t)^2/4D(t-t')}

Now, let's substitute this into the definition of the moments and use the Langevin equation to express x(t) in terms of \eta:

<m_n> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(t)^n P(x(t)) dx(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(-\frac{\eta}{\kappa} + \frac{1}{\kappa} \dot{x}\right)^n P(x(t)) dx(t)

Since we are interested in the moments of x(t), we can ignore the term -\frac{\eta}{\kappa} and focus on the term \frac{1}{\kappa} \dot{x}. Using the Langevin equation, we can express this term as:

\frac{1}{\kappa} \dot{x} = \frac{1}{\kappa} (-\kappa x + \eta) = -x + \frac{1}{\kappa} \eta

Now, let's substitute this into the integral and use the fact that \eta is a Gaussian random variable, so we can write:

<m_n> = \int_{-\infty}^{\

Related to Rules for gaussian random variables - ornstein uhlenbeck process

1. What is a gaussian random variable?

A gaussian random variable, also known as a normal random variable, is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world data. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is often used in statistical analysis and forecasting.

2. What are the rules for gaussian random variables?

The rules for gaussian random variables include the following:

• The sum of two gaussian random variables is also a gaussian random variable.
  • A linear combination of gaussian random variables is also a gaussian random variable.
  • The product of two gaussian random variables is not necessarily a gaussian random variable.

3. What is an ornstein uhlenbeck process?

An ornstein uhlenbeck process is a type of stochastic process that is commonly used in physics and finance. It is a continuous-time process that is used to model the evolution of a variable over time. It is characterized by mean reversion, which means that the process tends to return to a long-term average value.

4. How is an ornstein uhlenbeck process related to gaussian random variables?

An ornstein uhlenbeck process can be described as a gaussian random variable with a time-varying mean. This means that at any given time, the process can be represented by a gaussian random variable with a mean that changes over time. Additionally, the increments of the process are normally distributed, making it a type of gaussian random variable.

5. What are some applications of the ornstein uhlenbeck process?

The ornstein uhlenbeck process has various applications in physics, finance, and engineering. It is commonly used to model the movement of particles, the behavior of stock prices, and the dynamics of systems with stochastic inputs. It is also used in the field of artificial intelligence, particularly in the development of reinforcement learning algorithms.