Rubber Stopper Launcher: How to Launch Over 100m Using a Gas Reaction

In summary: Dry ice is great for restraining the rubber stopper. It's also a great thermal shock agent, so it can cause the rubber stopper to burst.I think you should use a calcium-carbide/acetylene reaction to launch the rubber stopper. The resulting acetylene would self-ignite, providing the necessary ignition.
Karshtakavaar
Hello! I'm neck-deep in concept designs, and honestly, I am swamped. I'm participating in an experiment to launch a rubber stopper from a bottle using a gas-producing reaction. My most recent design structure used dry ice, and a chamber made of metal, with the dry ice proportioned out inside both the chamber and the bottle to match the pressure on the inside of the bottle as the dry ice expanded. This allowed me to restrain the stopper, and build up pressure inside the bottle without bursting the bottle. This, however, apparently classified as "a bomb", and was consequently banned from use in the experiment.

My question is what I should do now. I would like to launch this rubber stopper over 100-150m. The stopper (made of rubber) weighs about 85g, and the base is ~1.45cm wide, with the rest coning out to a diameter of ~2.65cm, and the only thing allowed to launch the stopper is a gas reaction, either physical or chemical. I'm launching it from a plastic 125mL bottle, with a cap ~1.85cm wide. A regular baking-soda-vinegar reaction doesn't launch it more than ~50-60m. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know what age range you're in before commenting. There are certainly several ways to do it, but many of them might be quite dangerous to both you and your surroundings if something goes wrong.
In a school situation, anything that I suggest should be bounced off of a teacher (verbally, not physically) before construction.

16 Years Old

I just realized that my initial idea wouldn't be what you need. That was to use a calcium-carbide/water reaction which produces acetylene. You'd still have to ignite it, though, which I don't believe fits your rules.
How about sodium/water? I think that the result is self-igniting, but I'm not sure.

No combustion reactions, sadly. I think I'm going to use dry ice, like I said in the original post, just without the structure that let me increase pressure around the bottle. I was mainly looking for ways to increase possible distance by altering the bottle, or the environment around the bottle. It would be awesome if I could find a gas that expands faster than dry ice, though.

Okay; I misunderstood your intent. Sorry.

Related to Rubber Stopper Launcher: How to Launch Over 100m Using a Gas Reaction

1. How does the rubber stopper launcher work?

The rubber stopper launcher uses a gas reaction to propel the rubber stopper forward. When the stopper is placed inside the launcher and the gas is released, it creates pressure that pushes the stopper out of the launcher with great force.

2. What type of gas is used in the rubber stopper launcher?

The type of gas used in the rubber stopper launcher can vary, but commonly used gases include compressed air or carbon dioxide. These gases are safe and readily available for use.

3. How do you launch the rubber stopper over 100m?

To launch the rubber stopper over 100m, you need to adjust the angle and force of the gas release. This can be done by using a pressure gauge to determine the optimal pressure for the gas release, as well as adjusting the angle of the launcher to achieve the desired distance.

4. Is the rubber stopper launcher safe to use?

Yes, the rubber stopper launcher is safe to use as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses, and to follow all instructions carefully. It is also recommended to use the launcher in a controlled environment to prevent any potential accidents.

5. Can the rubber stopper launcher be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, the rubber stopper launcher can be used for scientific experiments, such as studying projectile motion or testing the effects of different gases on launch distance. It is a versatile tool that can be used for various scientific investigations.