Rubber ball Rotational Motion Question

In summary, a rubber ball with a radius of 3.2 cm rolls along the horizontal surface of a table with a constant linear speed v. When the ball rolls off the edge of the table, it falls 0.66 m to the floor below. If the ball completes 0.37 revolutions during its fall, what was its linear speed, v?
Theta
Note: I refrained from using any of the latex references, so bear with me.

Homework Statement

A rubber ball with a radius of 3.2 cm rolls along the horizontal surface of a table with a constant linear speed v. When the ball rolls off the edge of the table, it falls 0.66 m to the floor below. If the ball completes 0.37 revolutions during its fall, what was its linear speed, v?

a) Variables extracted from the question

r = 3.2 cm = 0.032 m
h = 0.66 m
theta = (2pi)(0.37 revolutions) = (2pi x 0.37) rad

2. Homework Equations and physics principles/concepts

a) Equations

i. d = Vit + 0.5at2
ii. v = rw

b) Physics principles/concepts

i. Law of conservation of energy (?)
ii. Rotational kinetic energy and the moment of inertia (?)
iii. Kinematics (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Energy is conserved, therefore:

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

b) There is no potential energy as the bottom of the table. Furthermore, we are analyzing the rotational motion of a rubber ball (ie. I = 0.4mr2). Therefore:

Ki + Ui = Kf
0.5mvi2 + 0.5(0.4mr2)(vi/r)2 = mgh + 0.5mvf2 + 0.5(0.4mr2)(vf/r)2

c) We can clean up the equation by eliminating the mass and radii parameters, and multiplying each term by 2.

vi2 + 0.4vi2 = 2gh + vf2 + 0.4vf2

d) Like terms can be collected and vi can be solved for.

vi = sqrt ((5/7)[(7/5)vf2 - 2gh])

e) We only need the final linear speed now. To determine that, we can use:

vf = rwf

i. As can be seen above, we need to determine wf. To do this, regular kinematics can be applied to find the total time the ball spends in the air.

d = Vit + 0.5at2
d = 0.5at2
t = sqrt (2d/a)
t = sqrt [(2 x 0.66 m) / (9.81 m/s2)]
t = 0.37 s

ii. At the very beginning, the amount of revolutions (in radians) was determined. By dividing the revolutions by the time obtained above, we can obtain wf, and ultimately vf.

vf = rwf
vf = (0.032 m)[(2pi x 0.37) / (0.37 s)]
vf = 0.20 m/s

f) Finally, we can solve for initial linear speed.

vi = sqrt ((5/7)[(7/5)vf2 - 2gh])
vi = sqrt ((5/7)[(7/5)(0.20 m/s)2 - 2(9.81 m/s2)(0.66 m)])
vi = WHAT??!? AN IMAGINARY NUMBER?

So yeah, I do not know what I am doing wrong. Am I misinterpreting the question? Am I approaching the question in the wrong way? Does my logic make any sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
as the ball falls down, its rotational speed does not increase :)

can u imagine why?

and also, in the energy equation where should we put the potential energy, does the system lose or gain potential energy?

hope that helps :)

Theta said:
ii. At the very beginning, the amount of revolutions (in radians) was determined. By dividing the revolutions by the time obtained above, we can obtain wf, and ultimately vf.

vf = rwf
vf = (0.032 m)[(2pi x 0.37) / (0.37 s)]
vf = 0.20 m/s

Since ω does not change, the ball has this same ω when it leaves the table. Can you use that information to find vi=rω?

Oh, wow, I think I figured it out.

Thanks for the help you two.

Related to Rubber ball Rotational Motion Question

1. How does the shape of a rubber ball affect its rotational motion?

The shape of a rubber ball can greatly impact its rotational motion. A perfectly spherical ball is able to rotate smoothly and evenly, while a non-spherical ball may experience wobbling or uneven rotation. The distribution of mass in the ball also plays a role in its rotational motion.

2. What factors affect the speed of a rubber ball's rotational motion?

The speed of a rubber ball's rotational motion is influenced by several factors, including the initial force or energy applied to the ball, the shape and mass distribution of the ball, and any external forces acting on the ball such as friction or air resistance.

3. How does the surface the rubber ball is rolling on affect its rotational motion?

The surface the rubber ball is rolling on can affect its rotational motion in several ways. A rough or uneven surface can cause the ball to bounce or lose momentum, while a smooth and even surface allows for more consistent rotation. Additionally, the friction between the ball and surface can also impact its rotational motion.

4. Can a rubber ball's rotational motion be affected by its size?

Yes, a rubber ball's size can affect its rotational motion. A larger ball will have a greater moment of inertia, meaning it will require more energy to rotate at the same speed as a smaller ball. Additionally, the size of the ball can also impact its air resistance and the force needed to overcome it.

5. How does the elasticity of a rubber ball affect its rotational motion?

The elasticity of a rubber ball can affect its rotational motion in a few ways. A more elastic ball will be able to store and release more energy as it bounces or rolls, resulting in faster and more consistent rotation. Additionally, a more elastic ball may also experience less friction and resistance as it moves, allowing for smoother and longer rotations.