Rough language for hard-working americans

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, people who work in conservative industries may find it challenging to avoid using profanity, while those in more liberal industries may be more comfortable with it.
Nikitin
Heh, I caught myself swearing recently while working as a TA. And another time during a lecture I heard one professor almost blurt out the f-word (he is more of the chaos type).

What's your job's policy on cursing?

Science news on Phys.org
This is a great topic, Nikitin!

I never used to use profanity. My parents didn't, and none of my friends did. Despite this I never believed there was such a thing as "bad" language. There is a time and place for everything and language is too precious for "No Trespassing" signs.

I have a daughter who is very smart. When she became a teen, she used profanity (as so many teens do). I was, frankly, impressed with her skill. She had a knack for knowing when it made her look coarse and when it made her look like a poet. It changed my view of profanity. I'm now comfortable with it.

Using profanity at work is tricky. It can indicate comfort and trust between peers. But I've seen high-ranking people use it to demonstrate high status, and low-ranking people use it to indicate low status. Middle-ranking people don't use it openly, in my experience.

Of course your experience my be critically different from mine.

Likes Nikitin
Folks may use it out of exasperation or frustration, or in an outburst of anger, e.g., when one injures oneself. Most folks I know don't swear, except perhaps on rare occasion, but I have some friends who readily use profanity. I think I only heard my dad swear twice in his life, and both times were pretty emotional situations.

Policy at work is 'No swearing', as I believe it is at most places. Certainly, one does not swear at a co-worker or subordinate. Such an act would involve discipline and possibly termination.

Likes Medicol
lisab said:
Using profanity at work is tricky. It can indicate comfort and trust between peers. But I've seen high-ranking people use it to demonstrate high status, and low-ranking people use it to indicate low status. Middle-ranking people don't use it openly, in my experience.

That's a right-wing thought. :p

Medicol said:
That's a right-wing thought. :p

Yeah, perhaps -- but I work in a very conservative, old-school industry.

We have no policy that addresses profanity directly. Our policies are vague and smooshy, and can be interpreted as the situation requires...sigh.

(I have heard our HR manager drop f-bombs, and once he called a subordinate a very unprofessional name. The subordinate left for a better offer but was hired back a few years later -- as the HR manager's boss! Ouch!)

Likes davenn
lisab said:
(I have heard our HR manager drop f-bombs, and once he called a subordinate a very unprofessional name. The subordinate left for a better offer but was hired back a few years later -- as the HR manager's boss! Ouch!)
:DYeah it serves him right. I didn't see anyone at my workplaces swear. They have other ways to express how they feel better than swearing.

Medicol said:
They have other ways to express how they feel better than swearing.
I present to you Malcolm Fffing Tucker.
NSFW

Whale oil beef hooked.

(try it with a cockney accent)

Astronuc said:
Folks may use it out of exasperation or frustration, or in an outburst of anger, e.g., when one injures oneself. Most folks I know don't swear, except perhaps on rare occasion, but I have some friends who readily use profanity. I think I only heard my dad swear twice in his life, and both times were pretty emotional situations.

Policy at work is 'No swearing', as I believe it is at most places. Certainly, one does not swear at a co-worker or subordinate. Such an act would involve discipline and possibly termination.
How come when you do something really stupid like hitting your thumb with a hammer, you say "That SMARTS!" ? :)

I think the appropriateness of cursing/profanity in the workplace depends very highly on context. At least in my own personal opinion, there is nothing wrong with co-workers occasionally swearing among themselves as a natural rhythm of their conversation in an informal discussion. However, profanity used out of anger or spite, or directed at others in a mean-spirited, abusive or aggressive manner is completely inappropriate. In a similar manner, profanity is also inappropriate and should be avoided at all costs in meetings or any discussion with clients, which should go without saying.

I have also found that, at least based on my admittedly anecdotal and unscientific observation, people in Toronto and nearby surrounding areas (where I'm located), particularly those <50 years of age, tend to be much more relaxed about the use of profanity than many of the Americans I've encountered (although I acknowledge that this may not necessarily be typical of Canadians who live outside of Toronto).

When I was in the Navy, I was out at a bar with a shipmate and he commented that he felt uncomfortable cursing around me, since I "never" did. Then I went home on leave and a friend told me she couldn't believe how much I cursed!

Cultures differ.

In my current company it is pretty rare in every-day working, but in context doesn't raise any eyebrows.

I can probably count in the fingers of one hand how many times I've cursed around my parents, though (I'm 38).

lisab said:

hahaha ... observe karma in action! :)Dave

man alive !

I have just listened through a barrage ( not directed at me, phew) of f this, f that, f him, get f'in over it ... probably used 20 times in less than 5 minutes and as I type its still going !

D

Last edited:
davenn said:
man alive !

I have just through a barrage ( not directed at me, phew) f this, f that, f him, get f'in over it
probably used 20 times in less than 5 minutes and as I type its still going !

D
Dear me - where is it coming from?

The operations manager
Im not sure if it was directed at customer or worker ( neither present)

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like this taboo business. Swear-words have a place in language as much as any others, and trying to control them thru "norms of moral behavior" and such is just silly.

Last edited:
I never swear, my mother and father taught me not to [ with a quick flip behind the earhole], but to my shame the English seem to use the F word more and more, i cringe when i hear it used as common language in public.

There wasn't single day when I was at work and nobody cussed :D It's just good humor, helps pass the time and everybody has a smile on their face.

Related to Rough language for hard-working americans

What is "rough language for hard-working americans"?

"Rough language for hard-working Americans" is a phrase that is often used to describe language that is considered vulgar, profane, or offensive. This type of language is typically associated with the working class or blue-collar workers in the United States.

Why is "rough language for hard-working americans" used?

Some people believe that using rough language is a way to express frustration, anger, or other strong emotions. It can also be used as a way to bond with others who share a similar background or culture.

Is "rough language for hard-working americans" harmful?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it largely depends on individual perspectives and experiences. Some may argue that the use of rough language can be harmful and perpetuate negative stereotypes, while others may argue that it is a form of self-expression and does not cause harm in and of itself.

Can "rough language for hard-working americans" be considered a form of discrimination?

Again, this is a highly debated topic and opinions may vary. Some may argue that the use of rough language can be discriminatory towards certain groups of people, while others may argue that it is simply a part of their cultural or social identity.

Are there any negative consequences of using "rough language for hard-working americans"?

The use of rough language can potentially have negative consequences in certain situations, such as in professional settings or when interacting with individuals who may find it offensive. It is important to be mindful of the context and audience when using this type of language.