Rotational period for constant mass but different volume

In summary: Yes. How to you find the % change in a quantity?You divide it by the original quantity and multiply by 100
ht9000

Homework Statement

The Earth's radius is 6371 km. If the Earth's radius were to increase by 30 m (0.03 km), but no change in mass, by what percentage would the Earth's rotational period increase? (Model the Earth as a uniform sphere)

Homework Equations

∑Torque = Iα
v = rω
a = rα
KE = (1/2)Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of inertia for a sphere is (2/5)mr^2, so ∑Torque = (2/5)mr^2 * (a/r)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

##\sum \tau = I \alpha## only applies to a rigid body rotating about a fixed axis. Here, the Earth is not acting as a rigid body.

Can you relate this problem to any other examples you've been studying lately where a rotating system changes its mass distribution while no external torque acts?

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

##\sum \tau = I \alpha## only applies to a rigid body rotating about a fixed axis. Here, the Earth is not acting as a rigid body.

Can you relate this problem to any other examples you've been studying lately where a rotating system changes its mass distribution while no external torque acts?
Can we solve it with the rotational KE and its relation to PE?

ht9000 said:
Can we solve it with the rotational KE and its relation to PE?
Rather than energy, there's a much more appropriate physical quantity that can be used. Have you read or discussed in class what goes on when an ice skater pulls in her arms in order to spin faster?

Oh yeah! Conservation of angular momentum! Which is L = Iω. And it will be the same at its original size and after it grows a little bit.
(2/5)mr^2 ω = (2/5)m(r+.03)^2 ω, m's cancel out and I solve for ω?

ht9000 said:
Oh yeah! Conservation of angular momentum! Which is L = Iω. And it will be the same at its original size and after it grows a little bit.
(2/5)mr^2 ω = (2/5)m(r+.03)^2 ω, m's cancel out and I solve for ω?
Yes. (Distinguish between the two ω's.)

Yeah, and then we know one of the ω's already because we know the period of the Earth right now, which is 23 hours 56 minutes 4.1 seconds, or 86164.1 s. Take 2π divided by that time and that is the initial ω, and using that I can solve for the one I need.

OK. But since you are asked to find the % change in ω, you could first work out an expression for the % change and simplify the expression before substituting numbers. That way, you might not even need to know the initial rate of spin.

TSny said:
OK. But since you are asked to find the % change in ω, you could first work out an expression for the % change and simplify the expression before substituting numbers. That way, you might not even need to know the initial rate of spin.
Right now what I have is:
(r_f)^2 * ω_f = (r_i)^2 * ω_i where _f indicates the final state and _i indicates the initial state. Can I turn that into some expression for the percent change?

Yes. How to you find the % change in a quantity?

TSny said:
Yes. How to you find the % change in a quantity?
You divide it by the original quantity and multiply by 100

Yes. (Sorry, somehow I was thinking the question asked for percent change in ω rather than T.)

It might be helpful to note that ##\frac{T_f - T_i}{T_i} = \frac{T_f}{T_i}-1##.

TSny said:
It might be helpful to note that ##\frac{T_f - T_i}{T_i} = \frac{T_f}{T_i}-1##.
Is this right?
ω_f = (r_i)^2 * ω_i / (r_f)^2
then, (ω_f-ω_i)/ω_i = (ω_f/ω_i) - 1
Using the expression I got for ω_f above, that gives:
((r_i)^2 / (r_f)^2) -1

Yes, this would give the % change in ω. Likewise, you can determine an expression for the % change in T in terms of just ri and rf.

(Actually, of course, to get % change you need to multiply by 100.)

Yeah, multiply by one hundred, and to get that expression for the change in T, would I just have to take 2π divided by the expression I have now?

ht9000 said:
to get that expression for the change in T, would I just have to take 2π divided by the expression I have now?
No. I would go back to the angular momentum relation and express it in terms of T rather than ω. Then you can easily find an expression for Tf/Ti.

TSny said:
No. I would go back to the angular momentum relation and express it in terms of T rather than ω. Then you can easily find an expression for Tf/Ti.
ω in terms of T is (Δθ)/T right? I substituted that in place of ω and when I solved for it, it gave me
((r_f)^2 / (r_i)^2) - 1
Is that the expression for % change in the period?

ht9000 said:
ω in terms of T is (Δθ)/T right?
Yes, with Δθ = 2##\pi##.
I substituted that in place of ω and when I solved for it, it gave me
((r_f)^2 / (r_i)^2) - 1
Is that the expression for % change in the period?
Yes, that's it.

Likes ht9000
TSny said:
Yes, that's it.
Awesome, thanks a lot for the help

OK. Good work.

Related to Rotational period for constant mass but different volume

1. What is rotational period?

Rotational period, also known as rotational speed or angular velocity, is the measure of how quickly an object rotates around its axis.

2. Does rotational period depend on an object's mass?

No, rotational period is not affected by an object's mass. It is solely determined by the object's size and shape.

3. How does rotational period change with a constant mass but different volume?

As the volume of an object increases, its rotational period decreases. This is because the object's mass is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a larger moment of inertia and slower rotation.

4. What are some real-life examples of objects with different rotational periods but constant mass?

A frisbee and a basketball have the same mass, but the frisbee has a larger rotational period due to its larger volume and lower moment of inertia. Similarly, a spinning top and a coin have different rotational periods despite having the same mass.

5. How can rotational period affect an object's stability?

Objects with longer rotational periods tend to be more stable, as they have a lower angular velocity and are less likely to topple over. This is why it is easier to balance a larger spinning top than a smaller one.