Rotational Motion Problems: Tilting Pole, a Yo-Yo, and a rolling hoop

In summary: What is its GPE? What is its total energy? What is its speed at the bottom? What is its fraction of KE rotational?In summary, the first problem involves a pole of length 2.30 m being balanced vertically on its tip and starts to fall without slipping. The speed of the upper end of the pole just before it hits the ground can be determined using conservation of energy. The second problem involves a yo-yo being released from rest and reaching the end of a 1.0-m-long string. The linear speed and fraction of kinetic energy rotational can be calculated using conservation of energy. The third problem involves a hollow cylinder rolling on a horizontal surface before reaching a 15-degree incline. The
random26
Okay, 3 problems I can't seem to get the right answer for..

1. A 2.30-m-long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip. What will be the speed of the upper end of the pole just before it hits the ground? [Hint: Use conservation of energy.]
GPE = TKE + RKE
mgh = .5m(v^2) + (.5)(I)(w^2)
so: mgh = .5m(v^2) + (.5)[(1/3)(m)(L^2)]w^2
My problem is that I don't understand how to solve for the angular velocity [w] without the radius of the pole. The answer should be 8.22m/s. Suggestions?

2. A yo-yo is made of two solid cylindrical disks, each of mass .050kg and diameter .075m, joined by a (concentric) thin solid cylindrical hub of mass .0050kg and diameter .01m. Use conservation of energy to calculate the linear speed of the yo-yo when it reaches the end of its 1.0-m-long string, if it is released from rest. (b) What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?
I honestly don't even know where to begin with this problem. I guess it would have GPE at the top, and KE and GPE at the bottom, right? I don't understand how to know the height of the yo-yo at the top though for GPE = mgh. Would the height be zero? I definitely need help just getting started on this problem. The answer should be .84 m/s and 96%.

3. A hollow cylinder (hoop) is rolling on a horizontal surface at speed v=3.3m/s when it reaches a 15 degree incline. (a) How far up the incline will it go? (b) How long will it be on the incline before it arrives back at the bottom?
So it has TKE and RKE at the beginning and GPE once it's on the incline so..
.5(m)(v^2) + (.5)(m)(v^2) = mgh
therefore: (.5)(3.3^2) + (.5)(3.3^2) = (9.8)(h)
h ends up being 1.11 and when you divide it to get the hypotenuse, the answer is 4.3m up the ramp. So far so good. But I don't understand how you can relate this answer to the time you need to find in part b. Is there an equation for this I can use? The answer's supposed to be 5.2s, but I have no idea how to find that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1
How is radius of a pole, which is pivoted and rotates about one end, related to its length of 2.30 m?
Problem 2
By what vertical distance is a yo-yo displaced when it drops from one end to the other of a 1-m long string?
Problem 3
You need to use the kinematics equations involving time for the second part.

random26 said:
its lower end does not slip
Is there a difficulty here?
When the pole length 2r is at angle θ to the ground, KE gives:
##\frac 12\frac 43mr^2\omega^2=mgr(1-\cos(\theta))##
Centripetal acceleration gives:
##mr\omega^2=mg\cos(\theta)-N\cos(\theta)-F\sin(\theta)##
where N is the normal force and F the frictional force:
##|F|\leq |N\mu_s\sin(\theta)|##
When ##\cos(\theta)=\frac 35## those equations become:
##mr^2\omega^2=mgr\frac 35##
##mr\omega^2=mg\frac 35-N\frac 35-F\frac 45##
Whence
##N\frac 35+F\frac 45=0##.
So it seems that even without slipping the pole will lose contact with the ground.
random26 said:
the radius of the pole
Not sure what you mean by that, the radius of rotation of the mass centre of the pole or its radius as a solid cylinder.
random26 said:
Would the height be zero?
You can choose the zero height wherever you like. All that will matter is the change in height.

When the yo-yo is descending at speed v, how fast is it rotating? What is its KE?

Last edited:

Related to Rotational Motion Problems: Tilting Pole, a Yo-Yo, and a rolling hoop

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point, where the object maintains a fixed distance from the axis while rotating.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line without any rotation.

3. What is the significance of the tilting pole problem in rotational motion?

The tilting pole problem is a classic example of rotational motion, where a pole is tilted and allowed to fall under the influence of gravity. This problem helps us understand the concept of torque and how it affects the motion of an object.

4. How does a yo-yo demonstrate rotational motion?

A yo-yo is a perfect example of rotational motion, as it spins around its center while moving up and down. The string attached to the yo-yo provides the required force for rotation, and gravity helps in maintaining the circular motion.

5. What is the rolling hoop problem and what does it teach us about rotational motion?

The rolling hoop problem involves a hoop rolling on a horizontal surface without slipping. This problem helps us understand the concept of angular momentum and how the distribution of mass affects the motion of a rotating object.