Rotational motion of a uniform solid disk

In summary, a uniform solid disk with a radius of 7.1m and mass of 30.3kg is free to rotate on a frictionless pivot through a point on its rim. When released from rest in a certain position, the speed of its center of mass can be calculated using the equation v = (4/3gh)^1/2. The lowest point on the disk will have the same speed as the center of mass. Using the equation mgh = 1/2 Iw^2, the angular speed of the disc at the dashed position can be calculated as w = 2.349 rad/s.
Momentum09

Homework Statement

A uniform solid disk of radius 7.1m and mass 30.3kg is free to rotate on a fricionless pivot through a point on its rim. [picture: http://www.wellesley.edu/Physics/phyllisflemingphysics/107_p_angular_images/figure_9.gif]
If the disk is released from rest in the position shown, what is the speed of its center of mass when the disk reaches the position indicated by the dashed circle?
What is the speed of the lowest point on the disk in the dashed position?

Homework Equations

mgh = 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2mv^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equation, I was able to subsitute w = v/r and solved for v...v = (4/3gh)^1/2. I don't know if this velocity pertains to the one about the center of mass or the lowest point. Please help! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the speed of the center of mass. Now I just need to somehow link that to the speed of the lowest point.

You should not include the second term in

mgh = 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2mv^2

that is it should just be

mgh = 1/2 Iw^2

since the disc is not translating, it is just rotating. The second term is for translational kinetic energy.

If one takes the bottom position as zero potential energy level then the potential energy at the top will be just

mgR

since the centre of mass dropped a distance equal to the radius below the top position.

What do you get the angular speed of the disc at the dashed position?

Last edited:
I got w = 2.349 rad/s

I (1.36 rad/s) do not get the same answer as you. Please show your calculations so that we can compare notes.

Last edited:
I got the answer; there was something wrong with my calculation.
Thank you for your help! :)

Related to Rotational motion of a uniform solid disk

1. What is rotational motion of a uniform solid disk?

Rotational motion of a uniform solid disk refers to the movement of a disk that maintains a constant density and shape while rotating around its center axis. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, CDs, and coins.

2. What factors affect the rotational motion of a uniform solid disk?

The rotational motion of a uniform solid disk is affected by its mass, radius, and the torque applied to it. The distribution of mass within the disk also plays a role in its rotational motion.

3. How is the rotational motion of a uniform solid disk measured?

The rotational motion of a uniform solid disk is measured using angular velocity, which is the rate of change of its angular displacement over time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

4. What is the moment of inertia in rotational motion of a uniform solid disk?

Moment of inertia in rotational motion of a uniform solid disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is influenced by the mass, radius, and distribution of mass within the disk.

5. How does friction affect the rotational motion of a uniform solid disk?

Friction can affect the rotational motion of a uniform solid disk by creating a torque that opposes the rotation. This can cause the disk to slow down or stop, depending on the magnitude of the frictional force.