How Far Can a Man Walk on a Plank Before It Tips Over?

In summary, a man weighing 70 kg is walking on a rigid plank weighing 210 kg that is placed on the edge of a 10 story building. The man can move along the plank as long as the plank does not tip over the edge, which is determined by an unbalanced torque about the pivot point. The weight of the plank may not exert any torque about the pivot point, making it a slightly unusual problem to solve.
einstein18

Homework Statement

A man, of m = 70 kg, walks along a thin rigid plank, of M = 210 kg. The plank sits on the roof of a 10 story building and is placed so that its center of mass sits directly on the edge of the roof.

Where, along the plank, can the man move before the plank tips over the edge? Assume that friction is strong enough to keep the plank from moving horizontally.

Homework Equations

Statics:
Y: (M+m)g=N(due to floor)
X: Not applicable
Torque=mgd=0

Rotational:
Torque=mgd=I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on how to relate the statics to the rotational part. I understand that as long as the plank doesn't fall the equilibrium equations remain true, however as soon as it does it is no longer true and the ratational torque becomes the reality. Now I don't understand how to create and equation that relates the change from one to the other as a function of how far the man walks. Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to tip, you just need an unbalanced torque about the pivot point (the edge of the roof, in this case).

This problem is a bit odd since the plank's center is right at the edge of the roof. Where does the weight of the plank act? Will it exert any torque about the pivot point?

The key to solving this problem is understanding the relationship between statics and rotational motion. In this scenario, the plank is in static equilibrium, meaning that all forces and torques acting on it are balanced. This is represented by the equations you have listed for the Y and X directions.

However, when the man starts to walk along the plank, he introduces a torque (mgd) that is not balanced by any other force or torque. This causes the plank to start rotating, and eventually, if the torque is large enough, it will tip over the edge.

To determine where the man can walk before the plank tips over, we need to find the point where the torque from the man's weight is equal to the maximum torque that the plank can withstand before tipping over. This maximum torque is determined by the moment of inertia (I) of the plank and the angular acceleration (alpha) it experiences.

The moment of inertia (I) can be calculated using the formula I = (1/3)ML^2, where M is the mass of the plank and L is the length of the plank. The angular acceleration (alpha) can be calculated using the formula alpha = (net torque)/(moment of inertia).

Once you have these values, you can set the torque from the man's weight (mgd) equal to the maximum torque and solve for the distance (d) that the man can walk before the plank tips over. This will give you the answer to the question.

I hope this helps clarify the relationship between statics and rotational motion in this scenario. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Far Can a Man Walk on a Plank Before It Tips Over?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is typically seen in circular or spinning movements.

2. What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of equilibrium. It focuses on the forces acting on objects and how they affect the object's motion or lack thereof.

3. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point or axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's orientation or rotational speed around an axis. Linear velocity is measured in meters per second, while angular velocity is measured in radians per second.

5. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. The lower an object's center of mass is, the more stable it will be. This is because the lower center of mass requires less force to keep the object in equilibrium, making it less likely to tip over.