Rotational mechanics .hinge reactions

In summary: The best I can deduce from this is that you see what is on the right, and you need a function to express the force on the hinge in various positions, for example the image on the left that you drew the rod wouldn't fall straight down, but rather swing down to the picture on the right where...I don't understand what you are trying to say. Could you please clarify?In summary, the two normal reactions on a hinge attached to a door are opposite to each other depending on the position of the rod. If the hinge remains flexible in the vertical axis, as in the door example, the same forces apply in one hinge now. Pull one long pin which way does it go?
Quantamite
Rotational Mechanics... Hinges and Normal Reactions -- Please help

Could anyone please explain me the reason for two normal reactions on a hinge attached to a door. Also if there are two hinges the direction of the horizontal component of normal reaction is opposite to the direction of the horizontal component for the lower hinge...why is that? It would be a great help if you could answer the above two questions in detail...

Also if there is a single hinge with a rod attached to it how do the hinge reactions vary as the rod moves in a vertical circle...
no one has been able to give a satisfactory reply to these above question's. .It would be a great relief to get these concepts cleared...Thank you..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand your first question... typical 2 hinge door. What do you think would happen if you pulled the top hinge pin with the door ajar? Replace the top pin and pull the bottom pin?

I'm not sure what you mean by the second situation. Perhaps the solution for the first example will provide insight?

Likes Quantamite
jerromyjon said:
I think I understand your first question... typical 2 hinge door. What do you think would happen if you pulled the top hinge pin with the door ajar? Replace the top pin and pull the bottom pin?

I'm not sure what you mean by the second situation. Perhaps the solution for the first example will provide insight?
jerromyjon said:

okay...I understand your explanation. ..And I am sorry...let me clarify the second question...what I was asking was why are there two components of hinge reactions.. (as shown in the attached file a rod is fixed to a hinge which in turn is attached to a wall...) So in this situation what role do the horizontal and vertical components play..? This is what I wanted to know..Thank you...

Attachments

• 1418316565513-2086374744.jpg
    1418316565513-2086374744.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 632
Also..In the second figure (refer attached file) I am not sure whether the horizontal component of hinge reaction will be in a direction along the rod(as I have shown it in the picture) or in the opposite direction?

If the hinge remains flexible in the vertical axis, as in the door example, the same forces apply in one hinge now. Pull one long pin which way does it go?

jerromyjon said:
If the hinge remains flexible in the vertical axis, as in the door example, the same forces apply in one hinge now. Pull one long pin which way does it go?
I am sorry. ..Could you please be a little more explicit? And you didn't explain the vertical component...Thank you

The vertical component is essentially negated by the "door hinge" construction.

jerromyjon said:
The vertical component is essentially negated by the "door hinge" construction.
But I am no longer talking about the door...Here is a single hinge pinned to a wall about which a rod rotates...What do the two components of reaction stand for..?

I'm still not sure of the context entirely, you still have the vertical component on which it pivots, if you slice the hinge off the rod falls down?

Er..yes.

jerromyjon said:
I'm still not sure of the context entirely, you still have the vertical component on which it pivots, if you slice the hinge off the rod falls down?
Yes..It does

But if you pull the pin what happens? Is it the same every way you rotate the rod?

I don't understand your impliaction..If you pull the pin the entire system will come off (along with rod)..Think of it as a hook that has been pinned to the wall along with the rod...and the rod can rotate freely a about it..

I don't understand the orientations in the pictures is that something different from the hook now?

jerromyjon said:
I don't understand the orientations in the pictures is that something different from the hook now?
How about this? Does this make things clear...?

Attachments

• 14183292825251020970694.jpg
    14183292825251020970694.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 683
Quantamite said:
Quantamite said:
Which part of my question is ambiguous. ...? I will make an effort to explain that...

Quantamite said:
if there is a single hinge with a rod attached to it how do the hinge reactions vary as the rod moves in a vertical circle...

Quantamite said:
What do the two components of reaction stand for..?
The best I can deduce from this is that you see what is on the right, and you need a function to express the force on the hinge in various positions, for example the image on the left that you drew the rod wouldn't fall straight down, but rather swing down to the picture on the right where Nx=0

Quantamite said:
Could anyone please explain me the reason for two normal reactions on a hinge attached to a door.

You should describe the direction of the forces you call "normal reactions". What are they normal to? If possible post a diagram or give a link to one.

----
I see the diagram now. In a 2-D problem there will be a 2-D net force vector exerted upon the hinge. A force in 2-D can be broken into two perpendicular components. The direction of these components has been chosen for convenience. The fact there are two components just tells you that the total force on the door is the sum of these components.

Last edited:

Related to Rotational mechanics .hinge reactions

1. What is rotational mechanics and how does it relate to hinge reactions?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects around a fixed axis. Hinge reactions, also known as pivot reactions, are forces that occur at a hinge or pivot point that allow an object to rotate. So, rotational mechanics is closely related to hinge reactions as it helps us understand the forces that cause objects to rotate around a hinge.

2. What factors affect hinge reactions?

The magnitude and direction of hinge reactions are affected by several factors, such as the weight and shape of the object, the distance between the hinge and the center of mass, and the external forces acting on the object. These factors determine the torque, or rotational force, acting on the object and therefore affect the hinge reactions.

3. How do you calculate hinge reactions?

To calculate hinge reactions, you need to first find the sum of all the external forces acting on the object. Then, you can use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of all the counterclockwise moments, to find the magnitude and direction of the hinge reactions. This can be done by setting up and solving equations based on the known forces and distances.

4. Can hinge reactions be negative?

Yes, hinge reactions can be negative. This means that the reaction force is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction. Negative hinge reactions are common in situations where the object is not in equilibrium or when there are unequal external forces acting on the object.

5. How are hinge reactions important in real-life applications?

Hinge reactions are important in many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of bridges, doors, and other structures that involve hinges. Understanding and calculating hinge reactions is crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of these structures. Hinge reactions are also important in the functioning of many mechanical devices, such as hinges in doors, windows, and machinery.