Rotational Mast System - Transfer Function, PID Design

In summary, a rotational mast system is a mechanical structure that supports a rotating object and the transfer function is a mathematical representation of how inputs are transformed into outputs. A PID controller is commonly used in the design of rotational mast systems to regulate rotation and factors such as weight, shape, and environmental conditions are considered in its design. PID controllers improve performance by continuously adjusting control inputs based on real-time feedback.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-4_22-34-11.png

Given the system above, were a motor is rotating a mast that is attached to a second second mast by a spring with a spring constant K and a damping coefficient D.

The motor has a current I applied to it with coefficient K

Below are the provided values.

upload_2018-5-4_22-40-56.png

K_s is the spring constant. The other K is the machine constant. PO is the desired percent overshoot. T_s is the desired settling time. e_ss is the desired steady state error. I is the current applied to the motor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I derive the ODE for the first mast, and solve for the angular acceleration, I get this.
upload_2018-5-4_22-42-15.png

I derive the ODE for the second mast, and solve for the angular acceleration, I get this.
upload_2018-5-4_22-43-37.png

I then put this into state space model A, B, C, D form

upload_2018-5-4_22-44-21.png

I put this into MATLAB to get the transfer function of the system.

A = [0, 0, 1, 0; 0, 0, 0, 1; -1/112500, 1/112500, -1/90000 1/90000; 4, -4, 1/75000, -1/75000];

B = [0; 0; 1250; 0];

C=[0, 0, 0, 1];

d=0;

[b, a]=ss2tf(A,B,C,d);

Tofs=tf(b, a)

Tofs =

0.01667 s^2 + 5000 s - 1.826e-12
-----------------------------------------------------
s^4 + 2.444e-05 s^3 + 4 s^2 - 6.099e-18 s - 2.055e-20

Continuous-time transfer function.

I then attempt to find the characteristics with MATLAB of the uncompensated system. This yields.

stepinfo(Tofs)
ans =
struct with fields:
RiseTime: NaN
SettlingTime: NaN
SettlingMin: NaN
SettlingMax: NaN
Overshoot: NaN
Undershoot: NaN
Peak: Inf
PeakTime: Inf

Is this a problem? The uncompensated system has a percent overshoot, and settling time of N/A. I can design a PID controller for this system so that way it has the desired characteristics?

upload_2018-5-4_22-47-45.png

I feel like maybe I have done something wrong, but I'm not completely sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really think that I did something wrong because I got that the system is unstable in MATLAB.

isstable(Tofs)
ans =
logical

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-4_22-34-11.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-34-11.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 766
  • upload_2018-5-4_22-40-56.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-40-56.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 436
  • upload_2018-5-4_22-42-15.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-42-15.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 424
  • upload_2018-5-4_22-43-37.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-43-37.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 396
  • upload_2018-5-4_22-44-21.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-44-21.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 414
  • upload_2018-5-4_22-47-45.png
    upload_2018-5-4_22-47-45.png
    740 bytes · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you have correctly derived the ODEs and put them into state space form. However, I'm not sure if your values for the coefficients and constants are correct. For example, the damping coefficient D is missing from your state space model and the values for the spring constant K and the machine constant K are not specified. It would be helpful to have more information about these values in order to accurately model the system.

Also, it is possible that your system is unstable, which is why you are not getting any values for the desired characteristics. In that case, designing a PID controller would be necessary to stabilize the system and achieve the desired characteristics. I would recommend double checking your equations and values, and if everything seems correct, then designing a controller would be the next step.

Related to Rotational Mast System - Transfer Function, PID Design

1. What is a rotational mast system?

A rotational mast system is a mechanical structure that supports a rotating object, such as a wind turbine or antenna. It is designed to withstand the forces and movements associated with the rotation of the object.

2. What is the transfer function of a rotational mast system?

The transfer function of a rotational mast system is a mathematical representation of how inputs, such as wind or movement, are transformed into outputs, such as the rotation of the object. It is used to analyze and design control systems for the mast system.

3. How is a PID controller used in the design of a rotational mast system?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is commonly used in the design of rotational mast systems to regulate the rotation of the object. It calculates and adjusts the control inputs based on the difference between the desired and actual rotation, in order to minimize error and achieve stable rotation.

4. What factors are considered when designing a PID controller for a rotational mast system?

When designing a PID controller for a rotational mast system, factors such as the weight and shape of the rotating object, environmental conditions, and desired rotation speed and accuracy are taken into account. The controller parameters, such as proportional, integral, and derivative gains, are then tuned to achieve the desired performance.

5. How do PID controllers improve the performance of a rotational mast system?

PID controllers are able to continuously adjust the control inputs based on real-time feedback, allowing for precise and efficient control of the rotational mast system. This results in improved performance, stability, and response time of the system, ultimately leading to better overall operation of the rotating object.