Rotational Kinetic Energy of Cl2?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the rotational kinetic energy of a Cl2 molecule using the equation 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed. The moment of inertia for a diatomic molecule is 1/2 * m * d^2, where m is the molar mass and d is the distance between the atoms. After some discussion and clarification, the correct calculation is determined to be m * (d/2)^2.
XianForce

Homework Statement

In a crude model of a rotating diatomic molecule of chlorine (Cl2), the two Cl atoms are 2.00 10^-10 m apart and rotate about their center of mass with angular speed ω = 3.80 10^12 rad/s. What is the rotational kinetic energy of one molecule of Cl2, which has a molar mass of 70.0 g/mol?

Homework Equations

1/2 * m * v2 (Kinetic Energy)

v/2 * KB * T (Internal Energy of a molecule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the equation for kinetic energy, substituting r * ω for v, but my web assign says that this is wrong. Nothing like this was taught in class and the book does not say much, so I'm at a loss for where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rotational energy of a rigid body (like the Cl2 molecule) is Erot=1/2 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed of rotation.

The Cl2 molecule can be considered as two point masses d distance apart, rotating around a bisector of the connecting line. So the moment of inertia is 1/2 md^2.

There are two mutually perpendicular axis of rotation so the molecule has got two rotational degrees of freedom.

ehild

So basically: 1/4 * 1 mol /(6.022 * 1023) * (70 * 10-3) kg/mol * (780 m/s)2 = 1.768 * 10-20 J , right? But Web Assign keeps telling me that's wrong, so where am I making the mistake?

Explain your calculation. What is that 780 m/s?

ehild

Nevermind, I figured it out. It's m (d/2)^2, not 1/2 * md^2

XianForce said:
Nevermind, I figured it out. It's m (d/2)^2, not 1/2 * md^2

Well done!

ehild

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy of Cl2?

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the mass, angular velocity, and moment of inertia of the object.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * I * ω², where KE is kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How does rotational kinetic energy relate to molecular rotation?

In molecular rotation, the atoms in a molecule rotate around a central axis. This rotation creates a moment of inertia and angular velocity, which contribute to the molecule's rotational kinetic energy.

4. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted to other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted to other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or potential energy. This can happen when an object with rotational kinetic energy interacts with another object or surface.

5. How is rotational kinetic energy measured in the metric system?

Rotational kinetic energy is measured in joules (J) in the metric system. In some cases, it may also be measured in electron volts (eV) in the field of chemistry and physics.