Rotational Inertial and Torque question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a top with a moment of inertia and a string wrapped around a peg. The string maintains a constant tension, and the question asks for the angular speed of the top after a certain length of string has been pulled. The conversation also includes a calculation and clarification of the problem.
skinnyabbey
Can anyone help me out? :smile:

The top has a moment of inertia
of 0:0002 kg.m2 and is initially at rest. It is
free to rotate about a stationary axis AA'. A
string, wrapped around a peg along the axis
of the top, is pulled in such a manner as to
maintain a constant tension of 5.22 N in the string.
If the string does not slip while wound
around the peg, what is the angular speed
of the top after 82.1 cm of string has been
pulled off the peg? Answer in units of rad/s

I have a problem with this question. I don't know how to calculate the linear distance given to an angular distance. I found the acceleration first using Torque=(I*acc). But then I don't know what to do next after this. My acceleration turned out to be 26100 rad/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
in order to check your torque, we knweed to know the radius of the peg.
edit:

aha! by reverse engineering I have discovered that you have used the force as the torque (unless the radius of the peg is 1 meter, which I doubt).

If the radius of the peg (that the string is wrapped around) is not given, then there is not enough information to solve this problem.
[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]
[tex] \tau = Fr [/tex]
[tex]Fr = I \alpha [/tex]

Last edited:
Try square root of [(2*Tension*String Length)/(Moment of Inertia)] .

also watch your units... (i.e. make sure length is in m NOT cm)

thanks.it worked.

D'oh!

"i've made a huge mistake."

Last edited:

Related to Rotational Inertial and Torque question

1. What is rotational inertia and how is it different from mass?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in the sense that it is a property of an object, but mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion while rotational inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is also known as the radius of gyration. The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, and r is the radius of gyration.

3. What is torque and how is it related to rotational inertia?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is related to rotational inertia because the greater the rotational inertia of an object, the more torque is needed to produce a change in its rotational motion.

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's stability?

Rotational inertia plays a key role in an object's stability. Objects with a larger rotational inertia are more difficult to rotate, making them more stable. This is why objects like spinning tops and gyroscopes are able to maintain their balance and resist changes in their rotational motion.

5. How can rotational inertia be changed?

There are a few ways to change an object's rotational inertia. One way is to change the mass of the object. A larger mass will result in a larger rotational inertia. Another way is to change the object's shape or distribution of mass. Objects with a more spread out distribution of mass will have a larger rotational inertia compared to objects with a more concentrated distribution of mass.