Rotational Inertia formula help

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia for a solid door rotating about a vertical axis 17 cm from one edge, you can use the formula I = (1/12)mL^2 + m((L/2)-d)^2 or approach it as two separate doors with widths d and L-d and add the moments of inertia for each.
kacey
A 24 kg solid door is 220 cm tall, 95 cm wide. What is the door's moment of inertia for rotation about a vertical axis inside the door, 17 cm from one edge?

I've looked at examples of how to do this problem. They connect it to center mass but I get confused when determining what the center mass is. They also talk about parallel axis theorem, but my professor has not introduced this approach.

The formula that I have been using is I= (1/3)mr^2

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're like me and look at other examples for help:
I was using the wrong eq. use I=(1/12)mL^2 + m (L/2 -d)^2
L is the length of the door and d is the distance from the edge

That looks right.

From here..
http://hedberg.ccnysites.cuny.edu/img203207/moments-wide.png

The moment of inertia about the center of mass (Icm) of the door is..
Icm = (1/12)mL2

The centre of mass will be the middle of the door (L/2 from the edge) for a door of uniform thickness.

Then the parallel axis theorem says..
I = Icm + mx2

where x is the distance between the centre of mass and the required axis. In your case x = (L/2)-d so the total moment of inertial is

I = (1/12)mL2 + m((L/2)-d)2.......(1)

Which is your equation.

You should also be able to get the same answer without using parallel axis theorem...

You could also approach this problem by pretending you had TWO doors, a narrow one (width d) and a wide one (width=L-d) connected together at a common hinge and add together the moments of inertia of each.

The moment of inertia of a door about it's edge is..
Ih = (1/3)mL2

In this case you have two doors of different width L..

The narrow one..
In = (1/3)md^2
The wide one..
Iw = (1/3)m(L-d)2

So the total moment of inertial would be..
I = In + Iw

I = (1/3)md^2 + (1/3)m(L-d)2.........(2)

I'll let you prove (1) and (2) are the same.

Related to Rotational Inertia formula help

What is the formula for rotational inertia?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = m*r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is rotational inertia used for?

Rotational inertia is used to measure an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also used to calculate the torque required to rotate an object.

How does rotational inertia differ from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Linear inertia, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. They are calculated using different formulas and have different units of measurement.

What factors affect rotational inertia?

The factors that affect rotational inertia include the mass of the object, the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, and the distribution of the mass around the axis of rotation.

Can rotational inertia ever be negative?

No, rotational inertia cannot be negative. It is a physical property of an object and must always have a positive value. A negative value would imply that the object has negative mass, which is not possible.