Rotational Inertia equation help

In summary, the problem involves deriving an equation for the linear acceleration of a falling mass suspended by a string from the rim of a uniform disk that is free to rotate without friction. The relevant equations include a=rα and torque=inertia*angular acceleration. The question raises confusion about the acceleration of a falling object and the variables for the masses. However, it is clarified that the object is not in free-fall due to the presence of another force, and a helpful resource is provided for further understanding.
andrewwg94

Homework Statement

Derive the equation for the linear acceleration of a falling mass m suspended by a string from the rim of a uniform disk of mass M and radius R that is free to rotate without friction about its principal axis.

Homework Equations

a=rα
linear acceleration = radius*angular acceleration

Torque=inertia*angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the question. If something is in free-fall, isn't its acceleration g? I just don't understand where the variables for the masses go. Any help is appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Rotational Inertia equation help

Question 1: What is the equation for rotational inertia?

The equation for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I represents the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

Question 2: How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while linear inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to linear motion.

Question 3: What factors affect rotational inertia?

The factors that affect rotational inertia include the mass of the object, the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

Question 4: How is rotational inertia used in real-world applications?

Rotational inertia is used in various real-world applications such as designing machines, calculating the stability of structures, and understanding the motion of rotating objects like planets and satellites.

Question 5: Can rotational inertia be negative?

No, rotational inertia cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity that represents an object's resistance to rotational motion and cannot have a negative value.