Rotational Dynamics of a cable car

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems and the attempts at solving them. The first problem involves calculating the net torque applied to a cable car using the formula T=F(LcosTheta), while the second problem involves finding the magnitude of force M using the equation T=-Wa(La)-Wd(Ld)+M(Lm)=0. The expert summarizer provides corrections for the angle and signs in the solutions, ultimately helping the person to find the correct answers.
GeoKenshin
Hi. I've been having trouble with 2 problems and I've worked them both 2 or 3 times. Here's my problems and my work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

In San Francisco a very simple technique is used to turn around a cable car when it reaches the end of its route. The car rolls onto a turntable, which can rotate about a vertical axis through its center. Then, two people push perpendicularly on the car, one at each end, as in the drawing. The turntable is rotated one-half of a revolution to turn the car around. If the length of the car is 9.80 m and each person pushes with a 185 N force, what is the magnitude of the net torque applied to the car?

09_04alt.gif

Homework Equations

T=F (LcosTheta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I also used the (F1 + F2) L equation but i just got the same answer with a positive sign

T=F (LcosTheta)

T = 370(9.8cos180) = -3626

Homework Statement

The drawing shows an outstretched arm (0.61 m in length) that is parallel to the floor. The arm is pulling downward against the ring attached to the pulley system, in order to hold the 126 N weight stationary. To pull the arm downward, the latissimus dorsi muscle applies the force vector M in the drawing, at a point that is 0.069 m from the shoulder joint and oriented at an angle of 29°. The arm has a weight of 44 N and a center of gravity (cg) that is located d = 0.26 m from the shoulder joint. Find the magnitude of vector M .

p9-22.gif

Homework Equations

T = -Wa(La) - Wd(Ld) + M (Lm) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to get M = [Na(La/Center of Gravity) + Nb(Lb)]/Lm

[44N(.26m) + 126N(.61m)]/[.69mcos29] = 146.316 N

That Answer isn't right and I'm really stuff on what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• cable_car.gif
    cable_car.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 514
  • arm.gif
    arm.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, T=F (LcosTheta) is true but what is theta in this case? It's NOT 180. The force is being applied at a 90 degree angle to the cable car.
Additionally, you need to consider each force separately, the distance would not be 9.8 m. You need the distance from each force to the center.

For #2, you should be considering the vertical component of M, so I'd reconsider the cos :) oh and this is porlly a typo but you have .69 written instead of .069

if the angle is 90 degrees for #1 then Cos of 90 degrees is 0 and that would make the net torque zero and that can't be right can it?

for #2 I got the answer 2639.61 N after using sine instead of cosine but i don't think that is correct either i got that yesterday as well and it wasn't correct. So would i use tan then for some reason?

GeoKenshin said:
if the angle is 90 degrees for #1 then Cos of 90 degrees is 0 and that would make the net torque zero and that can't be right can it?
No it cannot. The correct formula for torque is [itex]\tau = FL\sin\theta[/itex]. Note that L is the distance to the axis.

Okay i have the first problem correct now so thank you. Is there something wrong with my formulas for the second problem? I can't seem to get the right answer.

M = [Na(La/Center of Gravity) + Nb(Lb)]/Lm

= [ 44(.26) + 126(.61) ] / (.069sin29) = 2639.61376 N

GeoKenshin said:
Is there something wrong with my formulas for the second problem? I can't seem to get the right answer.

Your signs are off. The torque due to force M and the weight of the arm both act clockwise and thus must have the same sign.

got it! thanks.

Related to Rotational Dynamics of a cable car

1. What is the purpose of studying the rotational dynamics of a cable car?

The rotational dynamics of a cable car is important because it helps us understand the movement and stability of cable cars, which are used as a means of transportation in many mountainous areas. It also helps engineers design and improve the safety and efficiency of cable car systems.

2. What factors affect the rotational dynamics of a cable car?

The rotational dynamics of a cable car is affected by several factors including the mass of the cable car, the length and slope of the cable, the tension in the cable, and the rotational force applied by the motor or braking system.

3. How does the rotation of the cable car affect the passengers inside?

The rotation of the cable car can cause the passengers inside to feel a centrifugal force, which is the force that pulls them away from the center of the rotating motion. This force can cause a feeling of weightlessness or uneasiness, and can be minimized by the proper design and balance of the cable car.

4. What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents related to the rotational dynamics of a cable car?

Cable cars are equipped with various safety measures to prevent accidents related to rotational dynamics. These include emergency braking systems, speed and rotation limiters, and regular maintenance and inspections to ensure the stability and proper functioning of the cable car.

5. How can the rotational dynamics of a cable car be improved?

The rotational dynamics of a cable car can be improved by using advanced materials and technology in the construction of the cable car system, as well as careful planning and design to minimize the effects of rotational forces. Regular maintenance and safety checks are also crucial in ensuring the smooth operation and safety of the cable car.